Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Spares for Touring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought some of our members new to touring in their Packards might benefit from older member's experience regarding what spares might be recommended for tours of several hundred miles and up. Though I've never actually needed anything on tour, I've been able to help others from what I typically carry, how about the rest of you?

Water pump
Fuel pump and/or rebuild kit
Fuel filter (and gasket for the glass bowl type)
Fan and drive belts
Points, condensor(s), rotor, cap, ballast resistor if
so equipped
Radiator hoses and spare cap if a pressurized system
Set of starter motor brushes and solenoid
Generator and regulator
Roll of electrical wire, tape
Fluids (oil, trans fluid is so equipped)
Battery charger and/or jumper cables
Spark plug & spare ignition coil
Length of high tension spark plug wire
Windshield wiper blade
Length of vacuum hose
Assortment of nuts, washers, bolts, cotters.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 10:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Spares for Touring
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Towing equipment such as rope or chain or compact foldup tow bar. I prefer rope, lite and ez to stow.

Plenty of tie-wraps.

Tube/tire repair. small air compressor to fill tyre.

ELECTRIC fuel pump.

LONG length of # 12 or #14 electrical wire 20-40 feet long. Aligator clips. 20 feet of fuel line.

Test lite. coveralls or other work clothing. fold up rain coat.

Flash lite as well as a lite that works from car battery. POCKET flashlite too. I always carry a pocket flashlite.

Bottle of witch hazel and clean rags.
To be continued. I'll have to look at my cars and trucks just remeber what all i do cary.

6ix volt systems need to carry just about everything, bulbs and sealed beams.

Wheel scotch blocks (2), at least one jack stand (fold up type) and if room permits a GOOD jack.

Flat head cars can carry extra small engine parts such as valves, springs keepers even a piston or two, oil pump, rod , main bearing if inserts and pan is ez to remove.

In some cases it is best to store model specific tools and parts in an out-of-the-way place on the car. More commonly used or general tools/parts can be kept in an ez to access area. General items stored in quick access places (like the trunk) can easily be xfered from car to car.

I have small parts stowed on motorcycles inside of accessory mounting bars, inside headlites, under seat, and places i've probably forgotten about. Good places to stow items on cars too.

I've never been able to compe up with a really good GENERAL tool storeage kit. The best i've found is somekind of WWII HEAVY canvas bag about 4" hi x 10 " long and 6" wide with snap side pockets and 2wo carry straps. VERY CONVIENENT. BUT i only have ONE.

Second best is a LARGE brief case. They are flat with a comfortable carry handle and stow rather ez. A large brief case is worthless for just about anything else anyway.

Remeber, in some cases one mite have to hop a plane to go get a car somewhere else and need to carry the tools/parts.

Toilet tissue, clean empty coffee can and ladies hygene supplies for the lady passengers.

At least one fold up jack stand, 2wo wheell scotches and if possible a GOOD jack.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hmmm....think we're going to need a larger trunk. I absolutely agree with work clothes, flash light, tie wraps, chain or tow strap, tire repair kit and pump. Also the bulbs, though I don't know if I've ever had to replace a 6 volt bulb on the 34 - they last forever, far better than 12 volt bulbs.

I think a bottle of GoJo would be a good addition.

You remind me of the trip I took some years back to the PAC National in Asheville NC from New Jersey in my 48 Custom 8, about 840 miles each way, about 2000 miles total trip including the tours. Car must have weighed 6000 lbs, barely room for my clothes; took everything we've talked about plus a set of main and rod bearings, wrist pins, a piston, head gaskets, jack stands & hydraulic jack, and on and on. Of course in the end I needed none of it. And as I learned on the long Henry Joy tour last year, you always forget something - I needed to clean the glass bowl Carter fuel filter, but you know what happens as soon as you open one - the rubber gasket fall apart - and that I didn't have. But I do now and also take a roll of several gasket materials and an Exacto knife set.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not necessarily a bigger trunk. CAR SPECIFIC items can be stored in out-of-the-way places. More general tools and parts in a relatively flat 'container' in the trunnk.

As for the 6ix v bulbs u probably have many 'old stock' bulbs like i do. THE PROBLEM is modern produced 6ix v bulbs are of far less quality. For cars with shell type headlites like 30's model cars have, the smaller parts can be stowed inside of the shells.

OR, just turn it all over to just about any woman and i gaurantee they can pack an entire house and shop into the glove box alone. It always amazes me.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
That's a good list of "stuff" and I carry most of it myself when touring a distance. You might add a small quanity of gas and a can of starting fluid to help get you started if vapor lock occurs. All those things didn't help me much, though, when I tore up my transmission 150 miles from home last month! My brother-in-law is a Model A guy and when they tour, they even carry extra transmissions. Last year his buddy had to switch one out along-side the road!

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:07
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Well everyone it sure pays to be prepared!Egads!I am sure however that you guys are right.I have been told that it is a good idea to carry an axle and bearing(greased)as well as the seal for my car.Not to mention the required tools(ie:wheel puller.) as well.I guess if you are going a long way as they say, Cant hurt! BHW

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't carry one but need to. A rather large tarp or canvas to use in liu of a creeper and a blanket to cover the car seat because your clothes will be dirty after working on the car.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Model A guy and when they tour, they even carry extra transmissions. "

Sure, why not for a model A ??? They are only about the size of a 1 gallon whiskey jug. No problem carrying one of those.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I rigged up a wire on the V8 from the starter to an area near the hood hinge. Carry a remote starter button i can hook up fast incase i need to crank the engine while under the hood. Ez to make a homemade remote button. Cut a hole in a tennis ball, install a maodel A starter button button and 6' wire. There is nothing worse than running back and forth from engine to interiro to 'tunk' the engine over. Never been able to get an accomplace to do it right.

Carry the PushButton wire diagram incase i have to bypass some of the relays to get the car in "H" or "D".

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I take the 56 Carib on tour, I do take an extra pushbutton relay, set of buttons and harness and the entire actuator motor assembly. Never needed them but I'd say on a trip hundreds of miles from home, it's a lot of "peace of mind".

And a remote starter switch is a standard part of my toolbox.

I think we've developed a nice list here. Thanks for the contributions, hopefully folks will find it useful.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved