Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 175

Tom (Packin31), moodydavid16, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ignorant Shocking Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I want to replace the rear shocks on my 22nd Series 2262 sedan. It looks like I have two tube shocks on the rear axle and one transverse shock.

Can I just measure these (travel length and physical size) and buy any shock that will fit? Or are there other things that need to be considered?

I see that Kanter, et al have shocks, but I thought I'd try and source out something a little cheaper.

Jay

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:40
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignorant Shocking Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On the two standard shocks, you can almost do as you suggest, but you need to measure the maximum extended length and the minumum compressed length. Those measurements plus the nature of mounting, top and bottom, will enable a willing parts guy to find a modern equivalent or perhaps several of different ride/load characteristics, and they should be pretty easy to find.

The transverse shock, if no longer functioning, may require rebuilding by someone like Apple Hydraulics or Five Points though you might first check the manual or the unit itself and see if it is refillable - if so and it needs refilling and doesn't leak profusely, you might get off cheap.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I bought mine from Napa. I took and old one in and they measured the rods extended length and compressed length and came up with a shock that fit and seems to damper quite well. I can get the # off the shock if you would like it.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Have you tried asking for 49 Packard shocks at your local auto parts store? I have bought shocks for old cars this way, yours may be in the Monroe or Gabriel catalog.

Sometimes the parts clerk has to phone the company to get a number but if they have a good part number they can get any shock.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 17:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Yes. The better parts stores can usually get just about any shock. However, I haven't found any of the transverse type yet. They are not of the refillable type either. So it would seem that the best (and maybe only) solution is to have yours rebuilt.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 20:44
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Yes, The transverse shock that I had repaired was actually the old shock cut off and a new shock welded on. I suspect this is a DIY project if you could locate a shock with the correct length etc. Five Points in california "rebuilt" mine as well as the front lever shocks and i was very pleased with price and workmanship.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
That's great. I wouldn't have guessed that welding on a shock would be OK. My guess would have been that the sealing system would have been compromised. I'm glad to hear it works.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:07
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I took mine to the local parts guy. He measured and we came up with aMonroe shock that fits well. I can get the part number if you want.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 1:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Clipper47 and AfricaPackard,

It would be great to get the part numbers.

They would find a nice home in the Packard Parts X-Ref on this site, too.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 7:31
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jay The rear shocks on my 1947 Super are NAPA Ultra Rider Gas # 00321A. there is also a # 738017 further down on the shock. I searched the online store and it didn't register so maybe an obsolete # or line.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 11:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved