Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I have a feeling something has gone horribly wrong
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
I don't know what happened but I pretty certain that this is not a good place to spring a leak and I suddenly have that icy cool prickly feeling on the back of my neck telling me that this may be the end before it even had a chance to begin. Is all hope lost?

Attach file:

jpg  (71.72 KB)
1649_4a8d89237ca24.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:35
 Top  Print   

Re: I have a feeling something has gone horribly wrong
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
looks like a freeze plug to me. unless im seing something wrong, thats no big deal.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:40
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like core plug to me too. Check out this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=1368#forumpost1368 and also somewhere in the middle of Carl's 52 300 blog for more details.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=19989#forumpost19989.

Just be sure to get the proper slightly not ordinary size which is mentioned in one of those threads when buying replacements. If one bad, others may be too so might be a good opportunity to change all of them. Also while out, do a thorough pressure cleaning to get all the junk and rust out of the water jacket.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:54
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Thanks guys... Not as bad as I thought it might be then. It's not another problem I wanted to deal with but ultimately I do have a cooling issue to address down the line so this will be a step towards solving that problem and just piece of mind when I do get her back on the road some day. Now I'll just have to figure out what size plugs I'll need. Forgive me though. I'm still a bit green with engine work so I get a little freaked out when I see fluids pouring out of what seemed like a pretty solid piece of my engine. Now I know better.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 13:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
No biggie. I am replacing ALL the freeze plugs on my 352 now. They disentigrate from the inside out, so they can look great on the outside, but spring a leak at any time. I thought I'd save myself the trouble and do them all now. Also, a great time to flush the block, as that freeze plug had to disintigrate somewhere and I'm sure there are bits of it floating around the cooling system.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree, replace them all. I always use brass freeze plugs with a thin coating of blue or black silicone on the back side of them. This helps the installation process as well as keeps them from corroding. Let them dry overnight before refilling with coolant though, to insure that all the silicone is dry and doesn't come off. Remember, use a THIN coating!!

Posted on: 2009/8/20 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
It can be a pain to change some of them but not impossible. It's actually a good thing because you can clean the 60 years worth of crud out of the block much easier and all the plugs would be new. Just make sure to seat the new ones at about the same depth as the old ones.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 16:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
All good advice that I will certainly take. I have one decision to wrestle with... there seems to be some debate over using brass or steel plugs. I've even read about a guy who puts two brass plugs in and one steel as a canary in the coal mine approach. I understand the brass as far as non corrosive but I don't like to hear stories about them unseating. Gentlemen present your arguments. You know, if this couldn't have been repaired I could have always filled it up with ice cold beer and used it as a novelty dispenser at parties!

Posted on: 2009/8/20 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have put brass freeze plugs in every engine I've ever messed with and have had ZERO problems with them seating and staying seated. Just put some RTV on it and it'll be fine.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
While he is putting in new freeze plugs should he also pull the water distribution tube like you did Eric.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/20 20:11
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved