Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 94

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air In Fuel Filter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Evening all,

Not a particulary Packard question but one that can affect any vintage car.

Due to a rusty tank on my Dodge Bros, I have fitted several fuel filters over the past while, between the tank and the carb, before and after the pump, all in different positions and at various heights.

The question is where does air come from in the filter, I have used all types including a type which can be bled.

I have used non-return valves, checked for leaks but all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 14:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Air In Fuel Filter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pat, I wonder if you have a pin hole leak in the gas pick-up tube inside the gas tank?

Posted on: 2009/10/16 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Thanks for you reply.

I have not got that far yet, also I have connected the inlet pipe to an outside petrol container, thus bypassing the tank fuel line and pick-up.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Today's gasoline is much more volatile due to alcohol/methanol mixed in and probably other blending considerations. This is evidenced by carb fuel bowls drying out after a few days.

Maybe this explains "air" in the filter bowl. As the gas evaporates out of the carb fuel bowl, this releases pressure on the needle due to float drop. Any residual pressure (even gravity) in the incoming fuel line would cause fuel to be transferred into the carb, but since the fuel pump is not running, fuel or alcohol state changes to vapor causing the fuel level in the filter bowl to drop being replaced by gasoline blend vapors, i.e., "air".

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/16 15:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

IrishPackard wrote:
Thanks for you reply.

I have not got that far yet, also I have connected the inlet pipe to an outside petrol container, thus bypassing the tank fuel line and pick-up.

And what is the result?

Posted on: 2009/10/16 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
The result is no difference using an outside fuel tank.

I am trying to get my head around the fuel vapour theory, while I can see how it would occur, I dont think it applies here considering the various sizes and types of filters I have used.

The current filter is situated below the level of the tank, pump and carb, it is a glass type with the inlet and outlet situated on top of the filter. It also has a bleed valve on top to eliminate trapped air (or 'fumes').

Posted on: 2009/10/16 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pat, Are you using good quality rubber line? Sometimes old rubber lines will allow air to pass through as will a poor connection if used over an unflared pipe.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 16:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved