Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Solidified Brake fluid in master cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
When I overhauled the brakes on my '48, Oreilly's had new wheel cylinders in stock at around $15 each, all the way up to '56.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 10:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Raybestos part numbers for new wheel cylinders are:
Front-WC9025 and WC 9026 Rear WC18290 and WC18291. Just did all this to my 53 Patrician. Cost should be less than $20.00 per wheel.
Mike

Posted on: 2009/10/21 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
If you get new cylinders, take them apart and clean the parts with denatured alcohol then coat them with whatever fluid you are going to run the system on.

John, I'm curious why you said to clean new cylinders. I have never done that. Always just put them in right out of the box.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
remember the good old days when the stores carried kits to go into your old cylinders? new pistons, springs, cups and boots. They were fairly cheap too. I think those have gone the way of the button hook, buggy whip and 3.5" floppy disc.

Looks like my old days go back farther than yours. I worked on systems that had the new Shugart 8" single sided double density floppies. 8 bit punched paper tape comes to mind too.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Just a word of caution. I just bought rear wheel cylinders for the 51. They came in Raybestos boxes however one cylinder was marked Made in USA and the other said Made in China. I hate that. Can't believe the quality is the same.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
John, I'm curious why you said to clean new cylinders. I have never done that. Always just put them in right out of the box.

I learned to clean them first because the wheel cylinder, inside and out is coated from the factory with an anti-corrosion goo, like cosmolene, and that could gum up the action of the cylinder. If you are using DOT 3 there is enough solvent property in the fluid to eventually get through the coating, but I was taught to get everything nice and clean, then coat (lubricate) the parts with the fluid you intend on running the (rebuilt) brake system on. We did a lot of silicone fluid conversions as part of the whole-system overhall, and the DOT-5 silicone may not have dissolved the cosmolene-like stuff. It's just all about having everything in optimal operating condition at the end of the job. I did this "whole system" approach to my '63 Chevy II about five years ago, I replaced all of the rusty (Michigan car) hard lines with brand new pre-bent stainless lines, new flex lines, New wheel cylinders and new master, and I dissassembled and cleaned all four wheel cylinders and the master painted the exterior bare cast iron on all those components, then reassembled, coating the parts with DOT-5 silicone. I will be doing the same with my Packard, possibly this winter, except I think that I will use DOT-3 owing to the problems with the 2-way (three post) OE brake light switch. I usually prefer silicone brake fluid, but DOT-3 works fine, you have to keep an eye on it, and it's a good idea to drain and refill the system about every 10 years when running it.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks John,
That make good sense. I have always used DOT 3 fluid. That's probably why I never had any trouble. I will clean them out from now on. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Hey,

Its me with the solidified brake fluid. I just wanted to say THANKS to you all for the great advice. It sure makes a novice in this classic car thing feel a whole lot better knowing that there are some guys out there willing to share their knowledge. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
FZH. Please report back any further findings on this topic.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 16:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
For the 56 Caribbean I purchased from NAPA new rear wheel cyl for under $8.00 a piece and the front ones for under $12.00 a piece. All in all, an unbeatable price.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 19:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved