Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

Ernie Vitucci, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: packard verse chevy motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A 51 ambulance is probably a manual 3 speed. A 55 V8 would be a 352. A Chev 350 would have no more power and possibly less.

Get that engine running right and you will have all the power you need. Don't assume there is anything wrong with it until an old time mechanic checks it over.

See if it will turn over and has compression. Pour some oil down the cylinders and see if it will turn over. Disconnect the fuel line first, the tank is probably full of old stinky gas. That stuff will gum up your engine so bad a safecracker couldn't free it up so don't take a chance. Use a motorboat gas tank.

If 45 years experience means anything, 9 chances out of 10 that engine will run with minimal work and expense. Usually all you need to do is clean the points, and possibly clean out the carb.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The Ultramatic is a decent trans if babied,

You don't have to baby an Ultramatic, just don't drive it like a 12yo jacked up on Mt. Dew.

Quote:
A 55 V8 would be a 352.

Not necessarily, it could be a 320.

Quote:
What makes you think there is anything wrong with the Packard V8?

Chances are it hasn't got that many miles on it.

I bet I, or some of the other guys on here, could have it eating out of our hands in an hour or 2 at a total cost of under $50 bucks.

So could any mechanic who knows engines.

Anybody who says you have to throw it away sight unseen, is an ass clown. If all he knows is Chevy V8s find another mechanic.

Exactly. People are so quick to say "junk it and put a Chevy in it" because they lack the understanding of anything that doesn't have a bowtie on it. It's these Chevy idiots that makes me hate GM so much, so closed minded and suffer from a superiority complex with an ego to match. A 302 Ford or a 318 Mopar would be a better swap than a Chevy anyday. Heck, you could put in a 225 slant six and have 100 times the engine that a 350 Chevy could ever be.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I would keep the Packard V8 too. History (how it was repowered when the new engine came out) is way cooler than "yeah the old Packard motor looked bad so i just dropped a 350 in" I hear that all the time, and i will never repower anything with a chevy motor.

If the V8 is bad, I like the slant six idea, its unique, for one, and two, those old 225 /6's are bullet proof durable and make good torque.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 20:19
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Too heavy for a slant 6, how about a Jaguar V12 with Packard 12 emblems on the valve covers?

Posted on: 2009/12/11 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
BY ALL MEANS KEEP THE PACKARD V-8. That would be an awesome car to behold. How do you plan on doing the inside as it was or ???????

Posted on: 2009/12/12 9:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
To me a Packard body with any other engine than a Packard isn't a Packard any more. It's not like Packard made lousy engines as a habit.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 13:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved