Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Offenhauser Packard Trans Adapter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Has anyone seen, have, or used one of these. They are no longer making them but it would be nice to have one.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 211.32 KB; Hits: 137

jpg  (31.87 KB)
998_4b68ccd410ab8.jpg 506X714 px

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Offenhauser Packard Trans Adapter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There was one on eBay several years ago but I haven't seen one since. (IIRC, it went over $300 or I would have bought it) I would think if someone had one it would be easy to make copies, but I don't know how many would sell.

FWIW, I have a Ford bellhousing from a truck that's been made to fit a Packard V8. The next time I'm up at my mother's place I'll bring it down as well as the "homemade" Packard V8 manual flywheel that came with it and post some pics of them on here.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Might be nice as a wall decoration, but not to use. A strong Packard V8 will eat an early Ford transmission like popcorn. BTDTNA. The Borg-Warner T85 is three times as strong as the early Ford V8 transmission and has overdrive besides.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Jack must have been reading my mind. The Ford V8 could tear up that tranny - let alone a 352 or 374

Posted on: 2010/2/3 2:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
My thoughts with this is they make all kinds of trans adapters for the early ford motors. Get this packard to ford adapter, early ford bell, then go from there. Adapt a c4/c6 or a T5/T10.

I am just trying to put together any other option then building a $2500 700r4.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Why do it the hard way? Since you list the T10 as a maybe, the OEM Packard standard shift bell has the same bolt pattern as the 62-64 Ford, '61-64 Studebaker and '65-72 AMC T10 4-speeds as well as the Ford 4-speed toploader - the best US 4-speed ever made, IMHO.

I've got a Stude T10 with 2.54 low and an AMC T10 with a 2.20 low. Either would need the input shaft shortened to bolt up to the Packard. If someone wanted it done I have a machinist who will make it fit reasonably.

The T5 can also be bolted to the Packard bell housing using commercially available adapter plates.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/2/3 21:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
I have installed an early '80s Granada (Ford)toploader 4 speed behind the Packard engine in my '56 Golden Hawk. It has 30 percent O/D in 4th gear. The Granada v8 fits well, the 6 cyl input shaft is too long. I have had good luck with this transmission, I have one behind a 283 chev in my '56 Austin Healey and have machined one down to fit a 350 chev and a 1960 Willys Panel 4WD transfer case.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.52 KB)
622_4b6b13f63c77b.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/4 13:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Jack, I would love to do it the easy way.

I have posted on here a few times, on the HAMB, on craigslist and been looking on eBay for years.

If anyone has one please let me know.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 15:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
I think I might have found a winning combo that will be around 1/2 the price of the 700r4. If I get this adapter and then get the Flat-o-matic kit then build up a C4 to take the HP/TQ Ill be in business. I might have to make a spacer between the flywheel and torque convertor but I wont know till I get it all together.

http://www.flat-o.com/carproducts/flatomatic.htm

Any thoughts? Anyone been down this road?

Posted on: 2010/2/4 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does the C4 have an OVERDRIVE????
Use the Packard Flex plate????

If a spacer is used to reposition the flexplate by more than 1/16 inch or there abouts then starter engagement mite become an issue.

The Flat-o-mataic looks very promising. Whats the price??? Can u buy just the bell housing alone????

Keep us posted. Great idea.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 17:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved