Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Questions about Packard 1948 conv.
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

joborg2 wrote:

Where can I buy The rubberpads between the chassis and the frame?

John,
Norway

There are no rubber pads between the body and frame on Packard convertibles, only steel spacers and shims. Packard mounted these bodies to the frame with a solid connection to make up for lack of rigidity in the convertible.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are no rubber pads between the body and frame on Packard convertibles,

BDeB, that is certainly true of most, perhaps all the postwar convertibles but not necessarily true of the prewar cars. For example, the 1936 Twelve convertible victoria used very substantial rubber cushion blocks between the body and the frame and so have the other few senior prewar convertibles of the same or earlier vintage that I've observed. One reason may be that the frames were much more robust, especially those with solid beam front axles.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:23
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joborg2
See User information
Hi Owen Dyneto, about the # you asked for I just found one
of them < 75I977>.I`m not sure if it`s the letter I or one,
it looks like a pretty "fat" I(the letter).The small tag was gone,I`ll try to dig up the engine# later.

John

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many thanks, John. I've also forward those #s to Robert Neal who is nearing publication of a major book on the 48-50 Packards. There is another 22nd series RHD convertible just a few thief-proof numbers from yours, though it carries a 1948 vehicle number and a much lower production number. I've begun to think that the RHD cars were converted at a much slower pace in probably a separate small shop, it seems common to see them out of sequence with their LHD counterparts.

Yes, indeed the "I" is a 1; that was a peculiarity of Packard's own type font.

Best of luck with your interesting find. I think we'd all like to hear more about it, and see some pictures when you get them.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joborg2
See User information
Owen Dyneto,thanks for the information,I`ll keep you all
updated with dokumentation and photos when I get them.
John

Posted on: 2010/2/12 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just noticed something in the 48-54 parts book that had previously escaped my attention; the RHD models had different sealed beam headlight parts# than the LHD. Now that I think of it, not so surprising after all.

Isn't it wonderful to have a long, lousy winter that provides the time for such trivial pursuits.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 13:09
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joborg2
See User information
Hi Owen_Dyneto,thanks do you know if the LHD seal beams will fit on the RHD since we are driving on the right hand
side of the road here in Norway?
A question about the engines on these cars,do they handle
the unleded fuel that they are selling now adays or do we have to use an additive in the gas?

John

Posted on: 2010/2/21 16:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without checking the parts book, I suspect the headlight buckets and hardware is the same, just the bulb is different perhaps because of a different requirement for the filament placement or candlepower.

Unleaded gas presents some problems with vapor lock in cars that overheat or in very warm climates or long hard drives, but as long as the cars are driven at reasonable speeds and loads, unleaded gas should be OK, our crap here is 10% ethanol. When it becomes time for a rebuild, many opt for installing hardened exhaust valve seats to make up for the lack of lead as a valve seat lubricant. I suspect the so-called "lead subsitutes" are snake oil, but I guess might help, can't hurt.

Hope you find this useful,
Dave

Posted on: 2010/2/21 16:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joborg2
See User information
Thanks for the help Dave,I guess the warm climate should`nt
be a problem where I live(the winter would probably last
until june).

John

Posted on: 2010/2/21 17:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hi John,
Dave passed the information on your convertible on to me and I appreciate your providing it. It does lead me to ask further questions, however. I believe you are looking for further number information and I am anxious to see it when you find it.

They are: the engine number - found on the left side of the engine on a flat boss above and slightly to the rear of the distributer. These numbers are frequently difficult to read because of either being filled with paint (the numbers are stamped into the metal) or rust. The number should be G40----. The next important number is the one on the small metal plate mounted on the firewall just above the big embossed number. It reflects the original number of the body. Since the number on the data plate of your car is 2279-9-9905 this second number becomes an important identifier.

Your firewall number of 751977 indicated a rather early body which would normally have fallen in the group of cars with data plate numbers in the area of 2279-5000 to 2279-7000. Yours, being a RHD car, is unique so it will be interesting to see what all the other numbers are.

It would also prompt review of the firewall number and data plate number for accuracy.

Good luck on your restoration.
Robert

Posted on: 2010/2/23 14:09
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved