Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Diagnosis Needed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Owen,
You can possibly test the valves by shutting off when it's missing, bring the #1 and #2 to TDC and putting air pressure to them, it should hold pressure, and listen for air escaping past the valve.

John

Posted on: 2010/3/28 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, thanks for the idea, that's a good thought. I have an air chuck adapter already made up from an old spark plug shell and may do that next, but first I think I'm just going to pull the front valve tappet cover and watch things for a bit.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Compression test and air blowing bach thru the cylinder may not give evidence of sticking valve even if done rather quickly. The 2.0 F engine i mentioned above showed good compression even when warm. Intermittent erradic vacuum on road test only when missing.

The problem is that hte valve sticks ever so slightly open but when given enuf time of a few minutes the spring will draw it closed enuf for good compression reading.

Similar problem on a Tecumseh 3 hp engine. When the engine suddenly stopped and i was close enuf to the engine i could here a 'clink' noise that i did not consider thermal expansion nor contraction noise. It was the exh valve snapping back closed after the engine had stopped for about 10 minutes.

Similar problem on a m/c engine and similar diagnosis.

The F 2.0 engine fought for over 6 months off and on while driving it until i had exhausted all other non-valve related possibilities.

The only way i knew for sure it was a valve was to remove valve cover and spring and to work the valve by hand.

This sticking valve problem is something i have only ran into over the last 6 to 8 years or so. Never had it during the 70's thru 90's.

Some kind of crud is building up on either the stem very near the head of the valve or in the guide very near the head of the valve.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 12:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks guys for all the support and ideas. It's beginning to look more and more like a sticky valve, due no doubt to very infrequent use and then only very short trips at low speeds, perhaps coupled with some old gasoline. As of today after a good long drive, the owner reports that the length of the episodes where it runs well are increasing.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
John, I have an air chuck adapter already made up from an old spark plug shell and may do that next, but first I think I'm just going to pull the front valve tappet cover and watch things for a bit.

Dave, Do you have the air chuck made up from a 10MM plug? I was thinking of making one also. Did you weld the chuck onto the plug or would solder work better?

Posted on: 2010/3/28 15:44

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, somewhat fortunately my old Custom 8 has one of those relatively uncommon 356 heads that Packard cast in 1951 with 14mm plugs. I don't think these were made in large numbers. My chuck is brazed to an old sparkplug shell. I wonder if a solder joint would be strong enough - though on household copper plumbing (where the solder film in quite thin!) it easily takes the 100+ psi water pressure.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe consider running some 2 stroke engine oil poured into the gas tank. Many swear by it for the flat head m/c engines. I've never tried it. Probably should tho.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 16:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I think the sticking valve idea is most likely. However, another slim possibility is a vacuum leak. I had one in my shop that had a leak in the vacuum antenna. Disconnect it from the wiper motor T and plug it. A long shot I know but . . .
Let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 17:09
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, early on I was suspicious of a vacuum leak and we blocked off the only two vacuum-driven units, the Electromatic and the windshield wipers. The antenna is a rotary roof unit. We even eliminated the vacuum source to the booster pump.

But thanks for thinking about it and posting. If it were my car, I'd be barreling down the New Jersey Turnpike at the speed limit+ right about now.

Dave

Posted on: 2010/3/28 18:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved