Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Oil Pan drain plug
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
They are the same upon visual side-by-side inspection. I looked at both a few minutes ago. Will post a pic of both pans together if u need one.

Posted on: 2007/1/10 8:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I wouldn't weld the donor tapping plate. Just use the existing two spot weld holes (u must have cut them with a drill) and put a couple of small self tapping screws or bolts to hold the tapping plate.
That is in the DEEP DRAW of the pan and the metal gets VERY thin due to the stamping process.

Posted on: 2007/1/10 8:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Instead of replacing the tapping plate just drill (using succesively larger drill bits) to the next metric or fractional plug size. That way u do not have to remove the pan Grease the end of the drill bit each time to capture the chips. It's EZ to Magnetize the drill bit too if u want to. I've used this process many many times on various similar situations.

Do u absolutely - positively HAVE to have an original Packard drain plug at that point for some reason??? If so, i'd like to know why.

Posted on: 2007/1/10 9:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, yes, I could drill and tap to the next larger size, 11/16 or 3/4 and then search for a copper washer to fit as a seal. I do not choose to do that. A machinist friend says he has the proper drill bit, heli-coil tap and helicoil and will be dropping it off today. I can buy a good used oil pan from Mike D. for what they want for the heli-coil kit and bit.
I am going to try the heli-coil. If that doesn't work I will try to replace the bung. If that doesn't work I will buy a pan from Mike.
What is the difference between 55 and 56 oil pans? Does anyone know?
YFAM

Posted on: 2007/1/12 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As far as I know, just a couple of dimples in one of the years, that wasn't present on the other. I DO know that a Hudson pan will NOT work at all!

Posted on: 2007/1/12 14:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The (56?) pan has a flat stamped at 45 degrees at the very front of the pan. (55?) is simply rounded. I've not yet determined which pan is which in terms of years. My 56 very original Exec has the flat at the front of the pan.
Also, at the front of the pan is a reenforcement strap across the two front most bolts. In some pans it is spotwelded to the pan. On my 56 Exec pan it is held in place by the bolts. Supposedly, there is a LATE 56 pan with a subtle expansion at the rear most corner to accomodate the plug for the pressure relief valve of the pump.
I have one of each pan described above EXCEPT the alleged LATE 56 pan.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 21:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved