Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Series 22 Freeway Speeds?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
For what its worth, I drive my '49 at 70 mph from time to time with no issues at all. It's just a plain old 288 with overdrive.

What I find though is that I don't LIKE driving it that fast. I'm always thinking about, "Hmmm, did I get that axle nut tight last time?" and things like that! I guess I'm too close to the car, and I know how bad I can be with forgetting to finish things up.

That said, I'm VERY comfortable driving along the freeway at 60 mph. I like going in the slow lane just so I can have people pass me and give me a thumbs-up. That's always fun.

As brakes go, I'm not thrilled with my brake system. If I had the know-how I'd put disk brakes on the front. I just don't know how to do it.

Jay

Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:05
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Series 22 Freeway Speeds?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
The area I live in is surrounded by highway safety corridors and constant construction because they never fix the road right. They only band-aid it. To get to real highway driving, I'd have to go about 20 miles in either direction. That only happens around the holidays when I go on vacation. My 48 is used semi-daily about 8 months a year and I've had no stopping or steering issues with it at all. In fact, it stops and steers better than my 50's cars.
Just the other day, I had my 75 tbird on the highway and no one was going over 60. Still, the choice is yours.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:58
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved