Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Series 22 Freeway Speeds?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hello Packard Crew,

New member (and likely upcoming Packard owner) here. I drove a '49 Nash across country last year and have been itching for a 8 cyl variation of the flat 6 that did so well getting me home. This brought me to looking at Packards and I'm partial to the 'tub body style. Just curious how, say a 2272 with the 327, would do on our modern freeways. The Nash 173 in OD did just fine at 55-60mph all day... working up a sweat but happy doing it. (Enjoyed reading the thread about tailgating and having respect for our machines with older-style brake systems.) For now, not having had the pleasure of being behind the wheel of a Packard yet, I'm just curious how they behave out there on the super-slab.

And... what are folks thinking of the '48 with the lambo doors on eBay? It's on my radar though a rougher, bone-stock 2272 is available locally and I kinda want to get my hands dirty... the eBay car has had all the fun stuff done already.

Lastly, a quick thanks to everyone who's taken time and had a part in assembling such a wealth of information on this site. It's a labor of love but much appreciated!

Cheers, Michal

Posted on: 2010/5/10 1:16
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: Series 22 Freeway Speeds?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Michal wrote:.....New member (and likely upcoming Packard owner) here......I'm partial to the 'tub body style. Just curious how, say a 2272 with the 327, would do on our modern freeways........I'm just curious how they behave out there on the super-slab.

And... what are folks thinking of the '48 with the lambo doors on eBay? It's on my radar though a rougher, bone-stock 2272 is available locally and I kinda want to get my hands dirty... the eBay car has had all the fun stuff done already.

Lastly, a quick thanks to everyone who's taken time and had a part in assembling such a wealth of information on this site. It's a labor of love but much appreciated!

Cheers, Michal
G'day Michal,
to the Site but sorry I can't give detailed advice but believe a properly maintained 327 and O/D equipped Packard shouldn't have any troubles at the speeds you mention. And WHEN you get your Packard could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Regarding the '48 with lambo doors I think it's an acquired taste. ALL Packard owners are welcome here. And to this end there is a Modification Forum which caters for those whose bent is so inclined. I think your second option of buying a "tub" and getting your hands dirty would be the way to go.

And thankyou for your thankyou!

Posted on: 2010/5/10 2:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Welcome aboard. I own and drive a 22nd with a 288. It is capable of freeway speeds. I've had it at 60mph with no trouble and could probably go faster, just haven't tried yet. It doesn't like high winds though.
While I don't care for the "Lambo" doors mod on the ebay car, I do like the hood opening mod on it.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 7:27
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I suppose it depends on what one considers to be Interstate hiway speeds. I keep hereing 55 and 60 mph refered to as freeway speed. Around here and i suppose most places anything under 65 mph SUSTAINED becomes a moving obstacle.

I consider interstate speed to be 65 to 85 mph SUSTAINED. That's what i see everytime when i'm on the interstate. The speed limit is clearly posted at 70 mph MOST places except very Urban Interstate where it usualy 55-60 mph.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 7:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I think you will find the 48-50 Packards with the 8 cyl will keep up with modern day highway speeds with ease. I have driven a 49 Deluxe 8 to all four borders of the U.S. with the most serious problem a bad water pump. Even at that we still were able to drive it home. In California the freeway speed was about 80 mph. The Packard had no problem keeping up. We have 4 bathtub Packards and drive them regurarly on long trips and enjoy everything but the lack of air conditioning and cruise control. There is nothing wrong with the 288 or 356 engines, but I prefer the 327 with overdrive. Come and join the Packard driving experience.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
packardtaximan wrote:......Come and join the Packard driving experience.

Well said!

Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Perhaps that could be our new slogan

Posted on: 2010/5/11 2:33
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
You have brought up a wonderful observation. you stated that old packard brakes aren't the same as todays technology. You are 100% correct. I know that every purist on this site will loathe my intentions but in the end what are you after. I want a packard with remote start, functional heat, cold ac, abs,4 wheel disc, fuel injection, srs, power brakes, 12v, suspension 64 years newer. So I put my beloved Packard 22nd series on a 2006 dakota chassis. I gain all those things in one night. It works for me because I don't have the time or money to spend 3 years building a brand new 1946 drivetrain. I hope all will agree that the objective is to drive a reliable packard on the street so all can marvel at it's awe inspiring beauty.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.15 KB)
2128_4bec2df852b43.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.51 KB)
2128_4bec2e01b0bc1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/13 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm sure some eyes are still rolling and heads shaking but it's your car and as you said, all objectives were accomplished at once. It appears to be a lot of work with dash and all. I'm really not up on various options but any reason the Dakota chassis was picked over something else.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 12:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
It was in my budget, FREE ! and with my love of a torch and welder I did set out to build a rat rod, or Pack-rat.
And it's drivable with only 4 hours of work and only $900 for the body.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 12:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved