Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What Year & Model?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Nice read, Guscha. The Budd story is especially interesting, showing once again how strange the idea of the "foreign" automobile is. The Russians "appropriated" the dies from the (originally) jointly run German body factory after the war... I bet they did! And so, the Eastern Bloc automobile business was given a shot of steel-body technology. I'd be interested in hearing some comments on this piece. It's quite educational. That link, again:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/budd/budd.htm

Posted on: 2010/6/1 22:11
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The elephant on the roof photo was take as part of a publicity stunt done at Coney Island before a crowd of witnesses. It was well publicised in newspapers and magazines at the time.

Chrysler, or at least Dodge, was a pioneer of all steel body construction.

"During the 1930s Budd's largest customer was the Chrysler Corporation, and in 1932 they staged a publicity stunt at Coney Island in which a 5-ton elephant stood on the roof of an all-steel Budd-built 1931 Chrysler Straight-Eight sedan while the doors were opened and closed to demonstrate the strength of the all-steel body. Upon examination of the photo, the elephant stood on a specially-constructed platform placed on top of the roof, which most certainly could not have held the weight of the huge beast in its stock configuration. "

The platform was to give the elephant a solid footing and to distribute the load. The body itself was strong enough to carry the weight without distortion.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
One error in the excellent Budd article: Chrysler pioneeded the Budd disc brake on the 1947, not '67, Imperial.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 8:57
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Randerson,

You must've read the whole article. What do you think was the most impressive part? I admit I didn't get through it all yet.

Nice backstory Rusty. Some pretty crafty engineering nonetheless to figure out how to distribute the load-- and be sure they could pull it off without embarrassment, or danger to the pachyderm.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 21:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Guscha, I thought I saw something familiar in the Chrysler film. Just before the narrator says they were testing in the mountains of Ligonier Pennsylvania, I spotted the famous landmark "The Ship on the Mountain". We used to stop there every summer and put some nickels in the pay binoculars. If memory serves you could see three states and seven counties, but how could you tell?? Here's a link:
http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/still-time-for-ss-grand-view-ship-hotel-stories/

Posted on: 2010/6/3 23:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Dreams
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Randy,

Did you ever have a Packard trip out to that location with your family? Or, maybe you could make it a Packard Dream trip??

Posted on: 2010/6/5 10:50
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My daughter keeps asking me when I'm going to drive Best Other to Lino Lakes. I told her the day the flower blooms!

Posted on: 2010/6/5 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Okay, so at least your daughter has a Packard Dream!

Posted on: 2010/6/5 16:34
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
55PGuy: I was very impressed with how much technology Budd pioneeded worldwide working even with Citroen, Pressed Steel in England, etc, besides the US companies, in developing the first actual monocoque unit bodies; they must have been the world leader in these areas. Was also not aware they were now a part of Thyssen/Krupp. The article is well worth reading.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 8:37
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The scope of Budd's contribution was astonishing, I thought.

The transition from "coach-built" to more diversified body suppliers serving sectors of the auto manufacturing market, to "captive" body making divisions of auto manufacturers (Fisher comes to mind as an example) until finally various levels of "in-house" body manufacture, is a fascinating journey... I still don't pretend to fully understand the various transitions that took place. None of it seems to have been part of a careful plan of action by the auto manufacturers. Kind of an ad hoc collection of players.

What does this have to do with Packard Dreams? Dunno, but it's a fun tangent.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 15:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved