Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

Ian Sayer, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Should I replace my brake lines...again?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, I figured that would be an obvious conclusion, as well as moisture being drawn in from the wheel cylinders, past the cups.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
For flushing the system, I like denatured alcohol. Disconnect the flex lines from the hard lines, drain out the old DOT-3 fluid, plug the ends and fill the lines with a funnel, burp them out at the ends and let sit for a few days, then drain and blow out with compressed air.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Which brake lines? Flex or solid? If the flex lines are 16 years old, replace them.

I had a 41 Chevy for almost 40 years that got perhaps a hundred miles a year put on it. About 6-7 years ago took it in for service and suggested replacing the flex lines as preventive maintenance The owner of the garage pronounced my lines perfect, but to shut me up took one off. It disintegrated in his hands. It looked pristine because it never saw sunlight, water or much action, but.....

Why mess with either your safety or potential lawsuits? Particularly for so few dollars.....

Posted on: 2010/9/9 15:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I certainly agree with PatGreen about the flex lines. Usualy about 15 years more-or-less the flex lines can be questionable. Nonetheless, the flex lines are ez enuf to analyse as is suggested in PatGreens post above. Just grab one and twist it some. Listen for a crunching or crackeling sound.

Nearly all of my cars and lite trucks have required flex line replacement in the 15 year time frame.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 15:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys...I was talking about the steel lines. I didn't want to go through the trouble of bending new ones if it wasn't necessary. I'll replace the flex lines and check the fluid condition to see if I get any indications of rust in the lines.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 20:42
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You would be smarter and ahead of the game if you replace the steel lines as well, trust me on this. They can appear just fine and work fine until you have to make that unexpected emergency stop, then your brakes are no longer there, and you slam into the Honda that just cut you off. Better be safe than sorry IMHO.

FWIW, there's more steel in your trunklid than there is in a modern car. Chew on that for a while.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 21:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved