Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What's it worth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Bad news to report.
I got an e-mail today from the seller of the 55 Packard 400. It seems he had a partner in the purchase that had unbeknownst to him and already sold the car to a local guy.
Soooooo it looks like I'm back to square one in the search.
Thanks for all the support and info I got from the group in regards to my aborted purchase.
Anyway no money was lost so I'll begin again.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/7 19:15
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I got an e-mail today from the seller of the 55 Packard 400. It seems he had a partner in the purchase that had unbeknownst to him and already sold the car to a local guy.

That's exactly the same scenario as what happened on my '48. I missed it by one day, the guy's brother sold it out from under me.

About a year later, it was up for sale again, and I snagged that puppy up. Trust me, one will come up sooner rather than later.

Posted on: 2010/10/7 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you,

I'll be watching, believe me.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/7 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No problem, we all need a little morale boost every once in a while!

Posted on: 2010/10/7 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I recently had a similar deal and found the phantom partner was an excuse to renege on our deal and take a better offer. Bad kharma for $500? It's like being a strongarm robber for the bucks in a wallet versus being a Wall Street banker. The jail term is the same, so if you're going to steal, steal millions and billions.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/10/7 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Jack,
There seems to be a lot of this going around.
The last sentence of the e-mail I got from the seller contains this thought: "....maybe the universe just saved you and you don't even know it."
I had said in my e-mail I'd sent before receiving the bad news that I'd be flying down for the loading.
I does give one pause.....

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/7 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Same thing happened with me. I was within a breath of buying a 1951 Packard (which was not the exact car I wanted) in Louisiana when a phone call from the "wife" changed the deal. Let me tell you, that was a blessing in disguise!! I later wound up with the car I really wanted. You hang in there and something better will come along.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you everyone. I got an e-mail from the seller late last night (had to let the dog out at 3am, so while I was waiting). He was very gracious and has squared the deal with e-bay which e-bay had confirmed in the e-mail before his.
So, alls well that ends well: meaning I didn't lose any money.
Like, Paul, the '55 400 wasn't really the car I was after. I actually have a preference for a '56 Patrician (there is a long story there dating back to my childhood). I got an e-mail today informing me that there is one that will becoming available in the not to distant future. It is also drivable and in pretty great shape for it's age.
So, as I said earlier, alls well that ends well. I know there is one out there with my name on it, so to speak.
Thanks again, everyone!

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/8 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2010/10/8 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Yes there is, thank you, I saw that one. I especially like the green interior. But on close examination of the pictures there didn't seem to be any weatherstripping - anywhere. I asked the seller about it - twice before I got an answer and he said that I was right it was never put on after the re-paint. I'm troubled by the fact he didn't mention that in the description. It makes me wonder what his definition of a "small leak" from the transmission is; or what "a little smoke" from one exhaust is. Given that it was painted "several years ago" how often would you drive a car with no weatherstripping? I mean it's bad enough with worn.
I'll be following this auction closely, but I think I'm going to keep my power dry for a another Patrician that will be surfacing later.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/8 14:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved