Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Yet another question for Owen D
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
Would you happen to have any details of the hand throttle/ choke connections on the 34. I had occasion to use the hand throttle the other day and nothing happened. On checking, all the controls are ok from the steering column but no connections up to the carb from under the firewall.
I feel a bit of a fool as I have been using the starting format of pushing the hand throttle half way open until the car starts as recommended by Packard. A sketch or photo would be nice.
Many thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2010/10/12 6:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Yet another question for Owen D
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, I'll try to take a picture or two in the next few days, but the hand throttle does not have it's own independent linkage to the carburetor, it uses the same linkage that the accelerator pedal uses and is connected to that via an articulated arm and the little bevel gearset at the base of the steering column. Easy to see in a picture, not so easy to describe in words. I rarely use it, I just hold the accelerator pedal partially open while activating the starter.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 8:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Cheers Dave that will be great.
T

Posted on: 2010/10/12 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, I don't know how much of the hand throttle assembly you have, and these pictures arent' the most informative. It's one of those things that, when you examine it, it's function is immediately obvious, but it's not that easy to describe. But here goes a try...

In the first picture you can see the arm perpendicular to the steering column; on it is a bevel gear that matches one at the base of the column and it's driven by the hand lever under the horn bezel. The spring and bolt are to adjust the friction clutch (red washer) such that the throttle lever will hold it's position. You can also see the nickel-plated linkage rod heading rearward.

In the second picture you can see where the linkage rod attaches to the arm which is attached to the cross-cowl shaft rod from the accelerator pedal to the carburetor. What's hard to see is the last 2 inches or so of the arm; it has a stamped steel extension and tab which allows the hand throttle to operate the link to the carburetor, but also swings out of contact when you press the accelerator pedal further so the accelerator can provide more throttle but will return to the position set by the hand throttle when the pedal is relaxed.

Clear as mud? Let me know - I can try to take some additional pictures and/or try a new description.

Hmmm... I see some surface rust beginning to accumulate on the nuts and bolts - time for a good cleaning!

Attach file:

jpg  (155.24 KB)
177_4cb4904126f37.jpg 1500X1028 px

jpg  (235.60 KB)
177_4cb4904f72e43.jpg 1125X1500 px

Posted on: 2010/10/12 11:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
I have the same set up as you but it seems further back under the cowl. Whats the rod in your second picture with the split cotter in it?

Attach file:

jpg  (50.32 KB)
1372_4cb5dbf2c0c40.jpg 729X547 px

jpg  (33.18 KB)
1372_4cb5dcda51608.jpg 912X684 px

jpg  (152.20 KB)
1372_4cb5ddb207cd1.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, glad you've got all the parts. The rod end in my 2nd picture, with the clevis and cotter pin, is the rod from the forward pivot (the one with the little spring and friction clutch). It attaches the very bottom of the moveable stamped steel extension of the throttle shaft arm, just out of sight (below) in your last picture.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
I've just got to find out now why its not operating. Probably dis-connected somewhere under the cowl where it can't be seen easily.
T

Posted on: 2010/10/14 4:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, first thing I'd check would be, when you rotate the throttle lever on the steering column, does the bevel gear set just above the headlight switch rotate? If yes, the throttle must almost have to function. If not, is the friction clutch set too tight? If not that, perhaps the driving gear on the brass sleeve from the steering column lever is slipping? I forget just how it's fastened but as I recall, to get at it you have to remove the headlight switch assembly, and then the packing gland assembly at the base of the column.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 9:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave, Everything is functioning Ok at the bottom of the column when I operate the lever with no slippage but nothing seems to be happening at the carb. I believe that when the lever is operated it should act as a hand accelerator increasing the revs of the engine as if it were the foot pedal but this does'nt happen.
T

Posted on: 2010/10/14 12:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hmmmm.... Your expectation of how it should work is correct, it's attached via that long lever running down the cowl by the steering column which in turn is attached to the same cross-rod as the accelerator pedal, so it should pull the link to the carburetor. Any chance the long vertical lever has loosened from the cross-shaft?

Attach file:

jpg  (95.11 KB)
177_4cb759000d935.jpg 900X666 px

Posted on: 2010/10/14 14:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved