Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 1951 Patrician...in my Future??
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
To prime the oil pump, remove the cover of the oil pump, taking care not to damage the thin paper gasket. Pump some wheel bearing grease in it and pack it in with your fingers. Then reinstall the gasket and cover. I found that this old mechanic's trick works extremely well to prime the pump. Safe and easy.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
John Wright, the 60+ year old owner of the Arco station I worked at while attending PSU and who taught me all I know about working on cars used petroleum jelly. It worked great when I rebuilt the engine in my '65 Cadillac. John, where ever you are, what I owe you is beyond measure.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 0:38
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Thanks for all of the support and suggestions. Looks like the first order of business is to drain oil and remove the oil pan. The car was 'supposedly' running within the last 5 years, however it was last tagged in 1993, so I suspect much longer than the 5 years. It turns over fairly easily by hand. With as much Marvel as I have dumped down the plug holes in the past year, the oil needs to be changed at the very least, and I would like to see what's in the pan, good or bad. The advice about the oil pickup screen is well taken, and I hadn't even thought of packing the oil pump. Great advice!

Packard guys in my area are far and few between. When I mention that I bought an old Packard to tinker with, they ask the year and series.... and then look at me and say "They didn't make Packard computers that early did they?" Sigh...... It's great to get help from people you haven't ever met. Love this website!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 13:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
"They didn't make Packard computers that early did they?"

You seem to be in an enlightened area with locals knowing about computers. Down here they'd more likely ask what is it or when Ford or Chevy made that model.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 13:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved