Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 236

Todd W. White, Don B, Packardbarry, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Electrics
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Gary said he is trying to keep it 6 volt.
In order to answer his question maybe we need to find out why he is considering a 12v conversion at all.

GAry, what makes u bring up the topic???? Having problems with your current 6v system???

Posted on: 2010/11/12 15:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Before I head for my assigned shelter .....
I have a question about 6v and A/C. I know 12v is needed for modern or later systems but what about 1954? I believe all Packards were 6v that year so when A/C was re-introduced were A/C optioned 12v or did that year's system use the regular production 6v?
No special reason for asking, just curious.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 15:49
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Enough Gentleman. I don't want a repeat of 6 months ago.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 16:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A/C was reintroduced in 1953. But the compressor back then did not have clutches on them (you had to remove the belt to fully shut off the compressor). All modern compressors use an electric clutch, none of which are 6v ready.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 16:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's a good 3 page thread about the 6v vs 12v argument.
Mite help to read it for decision making. Probably start on Page 2 and read thru page 3 to the end.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2170&forum=4&post_id=20850#forumpost20850

Posted on: 2010/11/12 16:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kevin, Gary asked a question and all he got back was comments like "And for the 12 volt crowd - what are you going to recommend when they jump to 42 volts??", the can of worms picture, and berating people. I answered the question and then get this "Not worthy of comment, regardless of who you directed it at."

If people can't ask questions about their cars without getting hounded to "keep it original" and "keep it pure" then what good is a forum that's supposed to be for the spreading of ideas? You have two individuals in particular that hound anyone who asks about modifying their cars and I never see any repercussions to them, just wondering.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I am sorry I asked question. I want to keep as original as possible and keep it 6 volt. Just wondered if changed to 12 would radio need to be changed. Which I now know does. I wanted to know if keeping it 6 volt was the correct thing to do, as most of you have many years experience, and I am very new to classic packard cars and this forum . I had no idea just strong feelings about this subject. About 6 volts, when jump starting car, do you need special 6 volt jump leads? Or any of today's jump leads will work fine ?
Please remember, I am new, a beginner, and only trying to learn.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No special leads are required, but you have to be really careful jumping a 6v car with a 12v car. Things will smoke if you're not.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
More important than being 6v or 12v is the condition of the wires on your car. If they are not adequate, then the 6v will under perform. Moving to 12v won't solve your problem. The best solution will be to replace the wires. I would recommend using the original gauge wires that Packard used. 12v does not require as thick a wire as 6v. Using 6v replacement wires, you can keep it 6v while still having the option to go 12v later if you choose. If you rewire with gauge for 12v, then 6v will never be an option.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 21:13
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As Eric indicated earlier on the radio will have to be modified for 12v. I'm not a radio expert so someone else will have to detail exactly what the changes need to be.

When jumping a 6v car from a 12v car use any jumper cables available. But do not connect the cables for long periods of time. Connect the cables, immediately start the 6v car and then immediately disconnect the cables as quickly as possible. Keep lites and other accessories on the 6v car turned off. Always connect + to + and - to - on the jumper leads REGARDLES of ground variances between the 2wo cars.

As for contribes that u see here going on between long time P'Info participants the best thing to do i just ignore our badgering of each other until u've been around for a while and then take (or not take) whatever sides u feel compelled to take. That kind of activity goes on in nearly every forum. Not just this one.

The 6v vs 12v controversy and originality vs modifications/updates is common in the classic vehicle circles. Has been for decades and will continue for decades no doubt. That's just the way it is.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved