Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

William Grosz, Michaelg-twelve, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

"Waking Sleeping Beauty"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Happy Holidays, Gang,

I've got a puzzle. Since I brought my '55 home I haven't been able to keep away from it - at least trying some small stuff. The first thing I learned is that when I hooked the battery up and went to see which options worked by turning the key to "ACC"; the starter cranked the engine - and did so in all positions save "Off". A quick removal (thank God for center glove boxes) and check of the ignition switch confirmed the result and need for a new ignition switch. I re-installed it but left the starter wire off and found that all options work very well. I also found that when turning on the headlights that the Amp Gauge went into the "Charge" area with just the parking lights and further into "Charge" territory when turning on the headlights.
Question: The battery is hooked up with the Positive Post to ground but isn't the Amp Gauge working "backwards"? It seems to me that without the engine running the only movement of that gauge under electrical load should be into the Discharge half or am I nuts?
If the gauge IS registering "backwards" what is going on? I haven't reversed the battery hook-up (although that seems the likely next step) because I wanted to check here first. BYW I noticed when I was under the car checking things out, that the Level Control switch is a 1956 issue so could the polarity of the car have been changed at that time for that reason - and if so, what does that mean for the radio, clock and all?
One thing at least, I definitely found out the engine turns freely, though that wasn't the way I planned.

Thanks in advance,

Posted on: 2010/12/27 19:43
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty"
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Polarity was flipped on 55s as compared to 56s. Could yours have been updated?

Certainly sounds like a polarity issue.......

Posted on: 2010/12/27 19:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Since you have the glove box out, perhaps you can use a mirror to check the wiring to the amp gauge, making sure it agrees with the 1955 wiring schematic. Since the TL control switch has been changed, the polarity may have been switched also. If so, whoever changed that would have recognized the amp gauge needs to have the wires reversed.
I am not aware of any changes that need to be made for the radio, but if the amp gauge was reversed perhaps the radio was fixed at the same time.
The amp gauge wiring will tell you if the polarity was deliberately reversed.
Can you contact the seller to determine if they were aware of any changes??

Posted on: 2010/12/27 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I think it is a fairly common and simple change to convert a 55 Pos ground to negative ground like the 56s. Probably yours was converted in a prior life. In any case, the T-L, radio, starter and lights do not care about polarity, so don't worry about them. The ignition coil sort of cares, but not critically. The voltage regulator may or may not care depending on the model. If it does care, you'll know because it will go up in smoke if it does not like it, but you can buy an either-way one at any auto parts store. The generator can be repolarized either way (see the service manual for procedure).

The starter engaging on any ignition switch position is a whole "nuther" matter and does not depend upon polarity.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/27 20:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Randy, Pat and Craig!
Randy, the mirror and amp gauge check is brilliant! I'll check that first thing in the AM.
I know some of the cars previous history but nothing electrically. I do know the reason it was parked in the mid '80s is that it suddenly died on the freeway and would not re-start. Craig, your comment that the coil "sort of cares" makes me wonder if the polarity was changed when the '56 T-L switch was done and the coil gave up soon after - with death on the freeway the result. I haven't got that far into the electrical system to check out the coil.
I can talk to the guy I bought it from but he bought it in '07 from the old couple had it when it quit and they are in a nursing home somewhere and out of reach.
Pat's comment on the polarity change sort of mirrors my own thinking.
If the polarity was inexpertly changed would that make the amp gauge reverse? Mostly, do I have anything to worry about by hooking the ground strap to negative at this point? I haven't bothered to try and start the car yet so I don't have that to hinder/help me.
I am going to order a new ignition switch this week.
I also seem to recall that the Instrument Cluster fuse was blown. I know that doesn't affect the Amp Gauge but will check that fuse tomorrow as well as the wiring.
Thanks again guys! If you have any more ideas at all please keep 'em coming!
Thanks again!

Posted on: 2010/12/27 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Mostly, do I have anything to worry about by hooking the ground strap to negative at this point?

No problem other than keep a watch on the voltage regulator when the engine is running and shut the engine off if the regulator starts smoking.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/28 0:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks you again, Craig. Will do! If it starts smoking I'll even buy it a box of "Nicoderm Patches" to wear....

Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi All,

Well, I didn't get out to the car yesterday but just got back in from it today. I checked the Amp gauge wiring and found that each side had the same size red wire attached to it. I looked at the wiring diagram and saw that was correct. I noticed the Clipper uses two different colors for the GEN light, but on the Patrician with the gauge, it's just two red wires so I can't tell if the polarity has been switched to NEG ground or not. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
I'm tempted to just turn the battery around but I'd really like to know what I'm doing before I do it.
Any ideas are really welcome!

Thanks in advance -

Posted on: 2010/12/29 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Determining if the ammeter wiring is in sync with the battery connections is simple: turn on the headlights and observe the ammeter. If it shows discharge, then the battery and ammeter connections are in sync. If the meter shows charge, then either the battery connections or the ammeter connections are backward. Depending upon whether you want pos or neg ground, switch one or the other.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/29 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The amp meter is essentially just a straight piece of heavy wire in series with the red voltage feed wire from battery connection at solenoid to rest of car. It doesn't care which way it is hooked up other than to read backwards as yours apparently is. You can reverse with no damage and see if that solves the problem-or depending on how you want the battery, leave it.

Interestingly, the 56 wiring diagram shows the identical wiring at the amp meter yet the battery is shown reversed in 56.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved