Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

RKS, jcl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: clock hands
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Emery board, sandpaper or the like should not be used on nay electrical contacts. The abrasive can and does come off and can in time prevent the contacts from closing. Use a point file which is primarily used for ignition points.

One of the main reasons clocks stop working is that the oil becomes gummy over time. Putting new oil on will dilute the old oil and let it run a bit, but like you experienced it took several times to keep it going. That was due to thickend or gumy oil.

First clean the clock mechanism with lighter fluid ( if that isn;t obsolete by now), it will remopve th old oil nad leave no residue. Then re-oil. I do not know what oil to use, but if it thickens at low temperatures the clock will stop

Posted on: 2011/1/1 21:41
 Top  Print   

Re: clock hands
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good advice. I wonder why anyone would use emery or sandpaper on an electrical contact. I sometimes mount a Q-tip in my dremel and polish a contact in a recess with Brasso. Q-tips are cheap like me. And alcohol will clean up Brasso residue. If you can't find an ignition point file locally:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#ignition-point-files/=aepodj

They are $5.00 plus shipping - I buy a lot of hardware there.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved