Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

CartRich, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

55-56 PS hoses.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I replaced the PS hoses on my 56 Exec last year. So they are NEW.

I noticed that the SHORT hoses that run from the control valve to the slave seem to have alot of interfenece with the torsion bar and ESPECIALY the starter end plate. The original hose had the same problems. ANYone else notice this on their 55-56 Jr's ????

Posted on: 2008/1/26 13:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 PS hoses.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You mentioned two short hoses, which I take to mean 4 hoses total, and this would be the senior car (Bendix) system, the junior cars using the Monroe system. Pretty common to see Monroe on late numbered 56 senior cars, and I don't really know what would have been original to an Executive. In any case, on my 56 senior the short two hoses from the control valve have no interference issues. I'd offer to go out and take a picture but it's to damn cold in the garage.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Aren't you in Southern New Jersey? Where the sun always shines and the mud never dries?

Posted on: 2008/1/26 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, my 56 Executive has a total of four hoses. two long hoses running from pump to control valve. Two short hoses run from control valve to slave cylinder.

The problem only occurs on hard left lock when one of the short hoses strike the end plate on the starter moter.

The other hose is rubbing the torsion bar nearly all the time because i can see the paint worn off of the torsion bar. The new hoses are identicle in length to the old hoses and the old hoses also rubbed.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 23:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure someone hasn't installed your slave cylinder upside down? The 2 short hoses shouldn't be even close to the torsion bar.

Posted on: 2008/1/27 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I went out and looked at it. I see no way to install the slave cylinder in any other position. The tie rod end on the end of the slave cylinder is welded on. No way to reposition that.

Maybe i have a bum slave cylinder???? The hoses enter the slave near the top of the slave. Should it be the bottom?????

Posted on: 2008/1/27 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The two short hoses (Bendix system) loop downward from the slave cylinder to form a "U" and back up to the control valve. They are quite easily visible under the car without even having to get down in the prone position.

Posted on: 2008/1/27 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll snap a few pix later on tonite of the set up. The 56 Exec parts car was set up the same way and the hose on it had damage from hitting starter too.

I just don't see any way to reroute the short valve-to-slave hoses. they run along the top of the valve and into the end of the slave near the top of the slave.

Posted on: 2008/1/28 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering if the Bendix system is not a good fit for the Jr's. If i remeber rite, the Sr's have a longer arm at the steering knuckle among other changes that mite affect the set up. MAYBE that's why they used two different PS sytems between Jr and Sr????

Posted on: 2008/1/28 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Although the pumps used for the two systems look identical, the pressures are different; 550-800 psi for Bendix and 650-900 for Monroe. Other than that I believe the two systems can be used interchangeably. Sounds to me like someone has mongrelized your system.

Posted on: 2008/1/28 16:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved