Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Is adding air conditioning an unobtainable myth?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men, this is an update on what has become something of a major project for me. I've removed the compressor and mounts and will be cleaning and repainting the mounts. The fan and fan pulley need a coat of paint too. They and other ancillaries look like they are painted matte black so I guess I should stick with that if that's how it should be. I found out why the idler pulley was a pain to adjust. Like the generator, the pulley bracket should have a pivot bolt at the bottom to locate the bracket in position, with a second bolt on top for adjustment. My bracket wasn't bolted at the pivot point and the reason for that was the bolt holes didn't line up (by 1") - obviously the idler pulley bracket and compressor mount are not a pair, but they are now with some drilling and welding!

As I had a small radiator leak, I decided now was a good time to get that fixed so it's been removed and is at the repairers. As the thermostat housing bolts had to be removed to remove the compressor mounts, I thought it was a good time to change the thermostat and bought a 180 instead of the 160 fitted as I think we have more colder weather than southern CA. I think I'll also swap the water pump with the fully reconditioned one I have as a spare as it'll be a lot easier to do it now rather than when everything has been reinstalled. I'm thinking it's preventive maintenance rather than a necessity.

I struck another problem after removing the radiator. Behind it is a body cross brace and it had fractured completely at the bottom end, so I welded it back together with a patch which I'm hoping doesn't interfere with the radiator.

I've also removed the A/C condenser and some of the hoses and found that my initial idea of replacing all "O" rings was pretty much useless as all fittings are of the flared variety. This means I'll either have to get a compressor to suit or use adapters to mate one to the other. I've already been told that it will be unlikely I can buy a receiver dryer with flared fittings so that's means adapters up the front as well (I'd rather a new receiver than a reco). All components will be flushed before refitting with an appropriate substance and I'm thinking as I'll probably have to make-up a bracket for the receiver, I might make it so I can also mount the 12" condenser fan I have in the parts bin to it. It would be wired up so it came on when the compressor clutch was activated as I don't think it would be needed any other time. Perhaps it could also be wired with a manual under dash switch just in case, but if it is hot enough for the engine to get hot, it's likely the air will be on anyway.

That means retaining the 4 blade engine fan instead of searching for a 6 blade to fit the pump, which I have been doing with no success. I've thought about making an adapter but there's not much room between the fan and radiator. I was told when I bought the car the radiator is a genuine factory one for a car with A/C, which implies a larger capacity, but it didn't look particularly beefy when I took it out. I'll keep you all posted as it all comes together. Regards, John

Posted on: 2011/11/23 19:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved