Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Is adding air conditioning an unobtainable myth?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'm beginning to think so.

A new mechanic willing to look at the job has been found. I fully expect him to be kidnapped or suffer from amnesia in the next 24 hours.

Couple of questions:

Removing the pulley on the crankshaft seems daunting. How is this best accomplished?

The power steering add-on pulley has to be removed and relocated to the new two ring pulley. Any tricks here?

It seems that a number of electrical connections through the ignition switch need to be added. I'm adding an alternator, which needs to be excited to work properly. Come to think of it, so do I. Is this better accomplished with relays? Any thoughts on doing this would be appreciated.

Stay tuned for more amazing delays and potholes in the road to cool.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 13:57
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Is adding air conditioning an unobtainable myth?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i hear that 2/4x70 air is really easy to obtain! lol!

at least that is what mine will have when it is done.

but i don't blame you for wanting A/C, especially in this heat wave.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
When i pulled the generator for a bit and had an alternator in, i just put the 2 non-ground wires on the alternators one post, and then one wire from the plug that plugs into the alternator to that same main post on the alternator.

On the voltage regulator, take the two wires off that you moved on the generator, and connect them to the + on the battery. (assuming neg gnd here)

That way, you can easily swap a generator back in later if you want. There are no relays here, an alternator's red post is usually always hot, and is not key switched. The little jumper wire from the plug on the back of the alternator does the exciting, and you're basically making a 10si alternator a one wire hookup, only using both generator wires as one wire because you don't want a wire dangling. Requires no modifications to the wires at all.

Assuming you already found out how to mount the alternator in the generators spot. I also don't know if you need a thicker belt pulley to drive the alternator than it comes stock with as i don't have a packard V8.

Don't know about v8 packard pulleys, but most use a 3 bolt puller, cheap from any parts store.

Can't help with anything else.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ignore the indicator light hook up (unless you want an idiot light telling you the alternator is failing. Most just use a voltmeter somewhere in the system.)

The connector that plugs neatly into the back of the alternator can be had at most any parts store for a couple bucks.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.54 KB)
1420_4e29ce480abc2.jpg 375X324 px

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The V8 pulleys are held on by a single 3/4" bolt. Vibration damper/fan pulley is keyed to crankshaft and held on by the bolt. To add the AC pulley, it will stay untouched. The PS pulley is nested inside the recess of damper and keyed via detents and cast depressions in the recess and also held on by the bolt. Depending on the type Packard AC pulley you are adding, it is either a single (Nordstrom repro type) which just adds to the PS pulley recess & also nested and keyed same way but a longer bolt is needed. If you have the other type dual AC/PS pulley (ARA or aftermarket type), then old PS pulley is removed, new added in it's place and bolt reused. I don't believe any other make pulleys will fit. To change it, in all probability the radiator will need to come out for clearance.

By all means, add a relay and separate power for your AC. The ign switch can barely handle a stock Packard. Where and how you control it depends on your new system but here is how Packard did it. The ign switch only feeds the relay coil. The separate fused source from solenoid bat terminal actually does the work. Depending on your system, it may have one in it's loom already or you may have to add it. Hopefully your mechanic can determine the best way.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.22 KB)
209_4e29d19b23884.jpg 798X788 px

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wow! A simple explanation. terrific.

The Car has a guage, not an idiot light. Does that affect things at all?

Also, still wondering about the bracket. If you have a source........

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are you wondering about the AC compressor bracket or the alternator bracket?

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
To be sure, i was talking about no relay for the alternator wiring, do relay/fuse the AC. There are lots of conversion brackets for generator to alternator, don't know if one would work on the packard V8. Does the car have a voltmeter or ohms meter? It will work either way, just depending on how the car is wired if an ammeter will actually being reading accurately. My ammeter was long bypassed so i never bothered with it.

The bracket that is usually used looks like this:

http://paceperformance.com/images/I6127406

but again, i don't know how it mounts on a V8, that would work on a straight 6 or straight eight motor.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"Removing the pulley on the crankshaft seems daunting. How is this best accomplished?"

ok. Looks like we will have to do this the hard way.

See the service manual that can be downloaded free from this site.

To answer your question specifically it requires a special puller. Let us know if and when and where u find such a puller and the cost and availability of such a puller.

NOW, your next question should be:
"How many of u long time Packard V8 owners actualy own such a puller??". I've never heard anyone indicate that they have such a puller. I don;t have one. I've pulled the Packard V8 harmonic balancer from at least 3 different engines on at least 5 different occaions. I used a make shift home brew puller that rite now i can't even remeber how i set it up. It's been about 5 years since i last removed one.

Now, try to find someone to spend about 3 hours gerry rigging a puller that will pull the harmonic balancer WITH OUT DAMAGING THE HARMAONIC BALANCER!!!

OR buy the special puller and let us know the details on cost and availability of the puller.

Quite frankly i strongly believe that there is no reason to remove the harmonic balancer. But since u are convinced that ther emust be TWO belts driving the compressor then it's the hard way all the way.

Edit: Clarification. Anyone that is said to be or claims to be any kind of an sutomobile mechanic would know how to remove the harmonic balancer and/or just the pulley. The way in which the pulley and/or harmonic balancer is affixed to engine is very basic and common among many many engines across many years and makes.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 15:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OH!! wait a minute:

"The power steering add-on pulley has to be removed and relocated to the new two ring pulley. Any tricks here?"

Then there should be no reason to remove the harmonic balancer. Just remove the bolt and pry out the power steering pulley. Someone else confirm or refute this please.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 15:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved