Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 246

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: disconnect switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen.
All of the green knobed/gold colored disconnects i've seen (they are common everywhere at swap meets etc) look to be very skimpy to me. Check yours against my black knobed disconnect pic above for comparison. Mine is fairly heavy duty.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 21:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
While we're on batteries:

I'd like to come up with some way to use the (modern) Chevy battery hold down frog that is a one bolt (near base of battery) retainer. Makes R&R battery a lot faster and eleminates the metal bracket at the top and greatly reduces corrosion of the battery retainer and cable interference/shorting possibility.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 21:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
patgreen wrote:

Quote:
My mechanic insisted that I get a disconnect which was a brass appearing gizmo that went on a battery post and had a green on/off wheel. The next mechanic insisted that I remove the switch as it caused problems with battery charging.

IMHO, a battery cut-off switch is essential on a type of recreational vehicle (including old cars) - though it may pose a problem for vehicles that require retained battery power with key off.

The Swann style of switch (gold-colored metal with big green knob) has been around for years and quite popular. I use 'em.

Now, if you take one apart and see how little contact area there is or consider just the size of the knob's bolt, the conductive material is much less than what even a 12-volt ground cable offers. That, is this switch may pose a bit of resistance.

However, if you consider the gauge of the wire that carries the generator output on its roundabout way to the battery, the conductivity of the Swann-type switch is probably sufficient for normal operation - provided everything else is in good working order.

When using a battery charger, I suggest you attach the charger clamp to the battery post side of the switch, rather than the cable side. Otherwise, charging may proceed may slowly or give a false reading due to any additional resistance.

However, the black knob cut-off switch shown in PackardV8's images seem to be a lot more substantial in this regard.

This is advice is not rooted in any empirical evidenced, but personal observation and logic, with a bit of gut feeling.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
HH56's post above made me wonder about it when he writes:
"(switch) Fits nicely but there is a body flange close to side."
AND:

"Since the ground cable will pass near the PB relays,..."

Based on his last sentence i assume he has the neg post (ground) toward back side of car instead of front of car.

You may be reading too much into that.

I believe Howard is installing a remotely-mounted cut-off in the firewall that can be operated from inside the car. Therefore, he may be routing cable along fender.

There is no difference in the basic routing of the OE ground cable between models, 55-56; the only difference in cables is the due to battery post location, which only affects cable length.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I'd like to come up with some way to use the (modern) Chevy battery hold down frog that is a one bolt (near base of battery) retainer. Makes R&R battery a lot faster and eleminates the metal bracket at the top and greatly reduces corrosion of the battery retainer and cable interference/shorting possibility.

The foot print of the GM tray utilizing that means of retention may exceed what is available in the OE Packard tray. GM trays are also sized to specific group sizes of battery. You may have to scratch build one.

Also, the battery case must be specifically notched to accept not only the one GM retainer, but two tabs on the battery tray.

Even then, corrosion of the stamped sheet steel battery tray was still a problem on GM vehicles.

Personally, I think it takes less wrenching to simply loosen both j-bolts and swing them free of the notches in the tray rather than completely removing the single bolt on GM vehicle, which is necessary remove that holddown, which is necessary to remove the battery.

As far as shorting, you only have to worry about one cable, and I've seen rubber hoods that go over the battery terminal/clamp.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yoour rite BH!!! But that gives me an idea:
Use a GM battery tray just bolted into the the OEm Packard tray and hopefuly thru some pre-existing oem Packard holes.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 22:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Just watch out for hood and engine clearance.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'd like to know the mechanics reasoning begind that claim.

The claim was made that the switch cut into the ability of the generator to fully charge the battery.

Who knows? I took it off.....

Posted on: 2011/10/10 0:25
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There seems to be no clearance problems with battery setting on a 1/2" roof board between the tray and bottom of battery for the last 12 years.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 7:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
After reading Randy's post again, it sounds lke there may have been an intermediate step in the evolution of the Group 60 battery.

That is, the posts at opposite corners were switched to the other pair of opposing corners. Compare the symbols for the battery between 55th and 56th Series wiring diagrams and you'll see what I mean. Rotate the battery shown for 56th Series 180-degrees, so that positive (+) posts is at front, for 55th Series use will put the ground post at the front INboard corner.

This explains the offering of a shorter (15")cable for 55th Series.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 8:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved