Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Cormorant Article about Torsion Bar Potential Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Randy,

You have a 1956, which I showed above does NOT have a problem with the shock mount/U-bolt attachment.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/31 18:52
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The danger I was referring to was in the article referring to disconnecting the torsion bars from the axle and removing the parts for inspection/repair.
That is the same whether 55 or 56.
Disconnecting the bars from the torque arms and working on them does not present the danger spoken of in the article as long as you support the links and the rear axle.
I pictured that in my blog on the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 21:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
Hi all,

My main reason for writing the article in question was to encourage non-mechanics (like me) to be more diligent in inspecting their cars, and watching for issues that don't jump right out in your face. What had been diagnosed as a bushing problem turned out to be a much more severe (not shocking) problem. Poor bushings won't turn into a serious driving or service hazard, while a broken bracket would be catastrophic for the unsuspecting. How many times did I lube that car and never noticed the problem? Many.

I am very interested in the photograph above of a broken bracket, and it compares to my broken bracket (not pictured in the article) curiously. I may not have written the article for the CNB had I not owned two (2) Patricians with the exact same old weld. It all made me highly suspicious, and thought it worth sharing with as many as I could.

I have to say that I enjoy this forum and its many discussions, but I also love being a part of the club. To each his own, and being part of both worlds has its advantages. I have no idea if the CNB editor would allow a reprint if enough folks here think it worthwhile.

Happy New Year to everyone here!

Posted on: 2012/1/8 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
like Randy, i never noticed any problems on my 55 clipper when restoring that bracket. weird thing to have happen.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 19:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
It certainly was an oddity. By comparison, our '55 Clipper Constellation looks perfectly well throughout the system. That's why I questioned corrosion effect, or other abuse to the system. Or... and it's a big OR, were there compromised brackets out there. I had hoped to alert T-L equipped cars to the possibility that certain brackets may have issues that need attention.

By the way, I have been reading the thread and viewing your photos of the suspension rebuild on your Clipper, and Michael Franko's tools and assistance. Very, very impressive! I wish I had been able to do that way back when. Is your chassis the one I saw in Salado last spring?

Posted on: 2012/1/9 10:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
probably was me, but i wasn't there last spring. i was sick and didn't make it. it was the spring before that. i had it on display on a trailer.

this year i hope to have it down there with the motor and trans mounted up, but i would prefer to move it in an enclosed trailer and i'm having trouble finding one to rent.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/1/9 10:26
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
It was probably the year before - I get fuzzy on dates sometimes. Time passes all too quickly. I can't believe I have own our Patrician for half my life. The chassis was indeed on a trailer, so I'm quite sure it was yours... and it was superb work.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 22:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved