Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: 1950 Packard Eight Destined For Racing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
What do you mean by "front cap"? The steering wheel cap was easy, quarter turn and it comes right off.

If you mean the doghouse or front end of the car, it was a bit of a challenge. I will say if you're taking the whole thing apart, remove the fresh air intake ducts first, it makes getting at assembly bolts much easier. The hardest part is getting the bolts holding the back of the fenders, they're in the foot well and the clips holding them on are prone to spinning. I had to thread a cut-off wheel in there and slice the bolt heads off.

Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward disassembly.

As far as parts go, seat bits are for sale, let me know what you want.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
The front cap, as per the assembly (mating) of the body to the chassis that I was referring to is the complete assembly consisting of the front fenders, grille, rad support, lights and inner fenders. In the factory, this assembly was lowered as a single unit and mated to the frame. It contained all of the wiring for the lights, horns, etc. and made quick work of getting the car together.

As for the interior, I am missing my rear seat bottom. I'm going to have to get all of my upholstery redone, so it doesn't really matter what condition it's in as long as the frame is complete. Please let me know how much, and where so I can figure out if I can afford the shipping.

Good luck on your project- I think it's a great idea. If I was close by, I would offer my services for lettering- I used to have a sign company and know my way around a brush!

Posted on: 2012/3/14 11:28
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Sounds like you removed the parts one piece at a time.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 11:32
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Ben, I see you are from the Detroit area. I'll have to try and get an idea as to the cost of shipping. BTW, you getting rid of those outside rear view mirrors?

Posted on: 2012/3/14 21:11
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I've been busy. Since my last update I've moved to a new shop and fitted that out and have been busy with my day job at Popular Mechanics, but have also managed to make time for the Packard.

Last week I took the plunge and pulled the body off using my lift. It was a fairly easy process, the only casualty was the tiny end piece on the windshield wiper speed adjustment cable.

Over the last few day I built a rolling dolly for the body so I can set it aside and began building the chassis back up to go drive it totally naked (weeee!).

Today the engine fired up for the first time in two years or so. Idled okay but stalled when I tried to rev it. I didn't want to cook anything jumping it with 12V, so I decided to give the electricals a bit of a rest. I'll get back to it when I have more time.

Gallery here:http://imgur.com/a/wGAr1#0

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Oh well, back during the 55 mph speed limit days cars like that made great second cars. I drove a few 288's that ran fantastic. Lots of pep, good ride quality, ran great.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Hey, Ben. Looks like you're having fun!

I'm still interested in some outside rear view mirrors, if you aren't going to use yours. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:32
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
When I drove it home I was amazed by how smooth it was and the amount of torque I was getting. For such a heavy car that hadn't been run in years and just 150 hp it was keeping up with traffic like a champ. Of course, a lot of that is gearing. Still, I love this thing.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
Sorry, Joey, but I think I'll keep mine. These telescoping and folding mirrors are just too darn cool.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Yeah, they are cool. And very helpful, too, when changing lanes here in SoFla.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:58
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved