Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

humanpotatohybrid, flackmaster, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Intake manifold on a 49 "H" Super 8 (and tappet question)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I've just started the long anticipated, and maybe dreaded, engine removal and rebuild process. That's a story for another time.

The engine in my 22nd series is an "H" engine. So it is not original. ...and I've already seen some signs of poor previous work. So as I'm tearing this down, I noticed that the intake has a "288" cast into it, on the top? Is this an incorrect intake? I looked in the Hollander book and they list two different intakes for the standard and supers.

Also-How can I tell if this engine has hydraulic lifters/tappets? I thought that I remember reading that there is an "H" at the end of the engine serial. My engine code is a "H405250". So no hydraulics?

Thanks!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/3/5 23:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Intake manifold on a 49 "H" Super 8 (and tappet question)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Try removing the access panel under the exhaust manifold and look to see which type lifters you have.

This is from the service index:

"Packard engine numbers were stamped on a white-painted boss on the upper left-hand side of the cylinder block. A vehicle number was also stamped on a plate attached to the left top side of the cowl and was the same as a Body/Style Number, since it identified the model or style. The Body/Style Number appeared as the first four digits of the Packard serial number, followed by the engine number. Engine numbers for the Standard/Deluxe Eights were H-200001 to H-291000 for 1949 (Series 2300) models and continued through H-295000 for 1950 (Series 2300-5) models. Engine numbers for Super Eights were H-400001 to H-41 6000 for 1949 (Series 2300) models and continued through H-425000 for 1950 (Series 2300-5) models. Engine numbers for Custom Eights were H-600001 to H-602000 for 1949 (Series 2300) models and continued through H-61 0000 for 1950 (Series 2300-5) models."

So your engine is out of a Super Eight, which I think has the hydralic. I suspect some of the 48-50 experts can tell you better than me.

What I found out on the rebuild on my 1951 200 288 engine was that I could use either hydralic or solid lifters; I just had to tell the folks who reground the cam if I was using solid or hydralic lifters. The new ones are just about the same price, so you can pick which style you want. The solids are somewhat difficult to adjust, due to access, but once you set them, they are good for many years of driving. The hydralics are quieter, but can have malfunctions. None of my Packards have hydralics, so I can't speak from experience, but the cars my parents drove never had any problems. I suspect changing oil on a regular basis has a lot to do with that.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 10:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved