Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 246

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 29 packard 626 wheel shimmie
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
3/8" slop? That's scary.

Let me know if your shackles are worn badly, I ended up with an extra set. The 3/4" shackle bolts that run through the shackles are a press fit on the side opposite the nuts so don't be suprised when you have to beat them out with a big hammer and a piece of brass.
Good luck again.
Todd

Posted on: 2012/4/17 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information

Posted on: 2012/4/17 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I sent the shocks out to apple hydr. monday and sent a check to bruce Blevins yesterday he sells pin and bushing sets also. the 3/8 of an inch was in trunnion pin and bushing the others were wore bad but not 3/8 the mountihg areas were still snug hopefully the things come in soon so I can get it together. thanks Tom

Posted on: 2012/4/18 3:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Well apple hydraulics called and said the shocks are not rebuildable. I know someone who has a 733 frame with axles. He told me I could have the tie rod ends if I took them off.I was wondering if anyone knows if 733 and 626 shocks and tie rod ends are the same. I dont know if the frame has shocks but if it does and they will work on my car I will ask the man what he wants for those

Posted on: 2012/4/24 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
29 tons, Packard tie rods are the same from 2nd series all the way to the 9th series regardless of model. I did some research when I did mine.

Does Apple mean that your shocks are toast or do they mean that they are welded shut? There is no way to access the interior of those shocks without cutting them open.

I filled mine with acetone for a week and then drained them then I filled them with gasoline for a week and drained them again. I then hosed them out with air and replaced all the seals and they worked again. Try that before buying another set.

If they are toast you could call John Ulrich in California as he may have some. I bought one from him over the summer. If you like I can ask another friend who may have some but try and clean yours up first. Shocks may be the same on 626/726/726/733 but they are different on the larger wheelbase cars.

Todd

Posted on: 2012/4/24 21:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved