Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

V8 engine paint color
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Help! We're (my mechanic and I) having trouble finding the 'metallic green' that Packard used on the Clipper engines in 1956. Does anyone know of a modern comparable paint?

Posted on: 2008/4/22 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 engine paint color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
That's been a particular problem for owners of '56 Clippers and Execs, as I have NEVER seen a high-temp engine enamel in the correct shade of metallic green that was used for that one year. It is unlike any other green used on any other Packard engine (or any other car, for that matter).

I have in my notes that Dupont Dulux 5227DH provides the closest match for these engines. While this is NOT a temperature-rated enamel intended for engine use, others have used it successfully. However, I've been told that no engine paint will withstand the heat generated where the exhaust crossover of the intake meets the cylider head.

I do not have such info for other Packard engine colors, though.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 8:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I have used PPG Concept 2000 on engines with great results.
Bill Hirsh offers just about every Packard engine color but the '56 Clipper!

Posted on: 2008/4/23 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2008/4/25 4:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

That engine's color looks incorrect - comes off as a metallic shade of teal on my screen. The correct shade is somewhere between that of jade and emerald.

IIRC, Keith (PackardV8) has the correct color on the engine in his Exec; perhap he could provide a pic for reference.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 7:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Hey BH, you had a reference to a paint number back in an old post that we tried. Unfortunately that color has been discontinued, but the paint store was able to find a paint chip and and came close to matching it. I'll post some pics of the engine next weekend after the car finally comes home.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 0:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, given the change in paint systems in recent years, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that an older product is NLA, and the old formulas may be useless.

Still, any paint supplier worth their salt will have saved the old books/charts for situations like this. I'm glad to hear that the paint number provided lead to a chip that they could match closely.

I look forward to seeing a pic of your newly-painted engine. This thread could be an important reference for other owners with a '56 Clipper or Executive.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you have an original paint code number any good auto paint manufacturer should be able to furnish a modern equivalent formula.

I believe they can match paint by formula code back to the 20s. I have bought Sikkens paint for a 1951 Chrysler using the paint code off the body plate, and Sikkens wasn't even in business in 1951.

With this formula your local paint dealer can mix up all the paint you want, in many cases they have the equipment to put it up in spray cans too.

I have some old RM books that have things like wheel colors as well as body colors so I suppose it should be possible to find engine colors.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My very low mileage 56 Exec engine had alot of original green paint on it. The block still does. However i painted heads/manifold and water pump with an INcorrect green.

OLd paint codes and numbers are nearly useless among just about any application wheather Packard or otherwise. If a 'correct' color is demanded then the only solution is to take a sample to an EXPERIENCED AND WILLING paint store and have it MIXED.

Hi temp paint is not needed on WATER cooled engines unless thay are running under EXTREME temperature conditions such as racing. Just use a good regular auto body acrylic enamel. NO primer. DD customer service can be called or emailed to confirm this.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 10:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
We found a tiny bit of the original green on the trans housing. The color that the engine is now painted is pretty darned close. I'll take some pics in the morning and get them posted. The only change that I made was to have the exhaust manifolds powder coated black instead of being painted the same green.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 23:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved