Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '56 Patrician Rear Uni Joint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The NOS or NORS front joint for a senior with Ultramatic will prove a lot more challenging to find that a rear! Chrysler used this type of joint for many years but I've never found any interchange. And don't discard any old, worn housings, they'll be invaluable as cores come the day (if it isn't here already) when we have to have them sleeved or sputter welded and remachined.

PS - just noted to me that the only other vehicle that shared the same rear U-joint as the 56 seniors with Ultramatic was 55/56 Imperial by Chrysler.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i found the rear u joint....pt. no 3-0056...

forgot company but...l will be calling back to order....so will have info...

Posted on: 2012/7/2 11:55
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have only ever found the Chrysler front Ujoint to be same as Clippers NOT Sr. Packards.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
owen....yes the rear is a dodge....that is what neapco said.

i bought the last two on shelve.....jp if you need one i will send one...

the company kcs direct......

Posted on: 2012/7/2 12:24
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually, there is no availability problem with the rear joint, it's off the shelf from Kanter as a reproduction. It's the front that is the scarce one; the demand for them is so low, they probably never will be reproduced or so I'm told.

But, given proper care (periodic repacking), U-joints tend to last for ever and ever so if you have one that wasn't neglected, I wouldn't worry about it - just clean it and repack once or twice in a lifetime.

EDIT: The rear senior joint WILL BE available from Kanter, not available yet.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Riki, I appreciate your offer and the way my investigations are going, this is probably my best option. I checked with a supplier here using Randy's numbers and was told that 3-0056 didn't show up but that 28056X has the Hardy Spicer cross reference #RUJ4007. It also references to Detroit 5380, which is one of the numbers that you came up with in an earlier post. I had them check out the RUJ4007 and it came up with cap diameters of 31.25mm (1.23") and width of 76.2mm (3"), which seems about right from what I have been able to find out so far. Its cost is $72.60. However, and this is what I keep coming up against in my searching, the blasted thing has 4 round caps, not like Randy's which have two round and two winged like what we want. I was told to remove my existing one and bring it in to be measured and it might be able to be matched. However, as it's not terribly urgent, it might be easier to go with yours. Have you checked for sure that the caps are 2 + 2, and have a grease nipple fitted? Rather than clutter up this topic with some horse trading, perhaps if I give you my email address we can discuss the finer details separately (jwpayne@optusnet.com.au). Kind regards, John

Posted on: 2012/7/3 0:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi, JP,

ok will email,,\\

I ran the 3-0056 and it came up with round ends,,so i called, he is going to contact neapco,,,and i took a picture of mine, to show him wings.

His warehouse guy said that nothing there, so mine are coming from neapco,,,once we get it right,,,,

Posted on: 2012/7/3 7:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
the 28056 # is not right....someone boxed the u joints wrong.....

281000.....is the no...for packard.....28056...is round on all ends. no wings....

so i am looking.......

Posted on: 2012/7/3 16:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
from all i see, the cross is on the market, with round cups,

so we need winged cups, ok all,,,,will cold roll work i can machine the wings,,as can jack vines,,or any machine shop.

and sleeve it, or press in a needle bearing.

used wings could be cast too. then will have to look for a dust cover. guess could take a cover off a round cup and use it.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 23:15
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved