Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front suspension design life?
Just popping in
Just popping in

markb57
See User information
Hi All,

I'm guessing that this is the right place for this question. It straddles the war years, but I think you folks will know. Pre-war Packard introduced an advanced IFS design, I think on the 120(?) Does anyone know how long this basic design was in place? Was it still in use through the '50s? How swappable are the suspension/chassis parts through this time frame?

If there is a thread or web link with this info, I welcome a link gladly!

Thanks for any info offered!

markb

Posted on: 2014/10/9 10:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Front suspension design life?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You are referring to what Packard trademarked as the Safe-T-fleX suspension and it was in use from it's introduction on the 1935 "120" thru the 1942 non-Clipper chassis; it was introduced on the "senior" line in 1937. The new front suspension introduced with the Clipper in 1941 was a rather generic type, similar to what GM developed, and was used thru 1954 and on the V8 non-TL cars though even there parts of it were in common. Safe-T-fleX died in 1942 with the end of the conventionally bodied Packards but a version of it was used on Rolls-Royce postwar, and I believe by one or two other European makes.

Parts between the "junior" and "senior" Safe-T-fleX suspensions are not universally interchangeable. Someone else may know all the details on interchangeable parts but the best source of info is in the parts books.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved