Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exterior sun/rain visors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I've seen a couple of Packards with exterior sun/rain visors. Were those added later or from the factor?

thank you
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Exterior sun/rain visors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure about prewar but postwar Packards had several different type visors as factory options. Here is the first acc photo I came by showing what the 22nd series could have had available for an owner wanting a well optioned car. Visor lines changed as the body styles changed.

There was also a thriving aftermarket. Just about any automotive related store or even the corner gas station could supply something. I remember growing up in my area there was a chain called Western Auto that had all kinds of aftermarket stuff for just about any car.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.70 KB)
209_5439bd74b8b2b.jpg 1280X536 px

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
First, I had completely forgotten about Western Auto. It used to be one of those all-purpose-stores, some of which even carried toys.

Second, thanks for the graphic of the visors. Those look similar to the ones I've seen not only on Packards, but various other cars.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Today's younger people, and quite a few of us older guys, would find thumbing through an old J.C. Whitney catalog a fascinating way to kill a few minutes. I learned an awful lot from this Chicago company when I was a young, car-loving lad. Back in the late 50's and early sixties, you could see representation of hubcaps, bumper guards, seat covers and these windshield shades for virtually any American car produced in the previous ten years or so. If you wanted to know the difference between a 1952 and 1954 Packard tail light lens, the JCW pages would tell you.

The prices charged are also another reason to look back with wonder. No such thing as a credit card, you would quickly become aware how C.O.D. worked and how your mailman would quickly become your best friend and delivery agent. Another source of amazement for me is the plethora of "miracle" formulas and devices that claimed to cure almost anything automotive.

If you come across one of the older J.C. Whitney catalogs at a swap meet, snap it up and be prepared for lots of fun remembering how cheap and easy some things were 40-60 years ago. You'll learn a lot and smile a bit. It's been a while since I could buy that automatic, pneumatic ash tray for a Packard or a Hudson. Without JCW, I would have never started buying a Kozak Dry-wash miracle cloth. Both still exist today. Alas, no more Atomic Miracle devices to change water into a super fuel.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If you come across one of the older J.C. Whitney catalogs at a swap meet, snap it up and be prepared for lots of fun remembering how cheap and easy some things were 40-60 years ago. You'll learn a lot and smile a bit. It's been a while since I could buy that automatic, pneumatic ash tray for a Packard or a Hudson. Without JCW, I would have never started buying a Kozak Dry-wash miracle cloth. Both still exist today. Alas, no more Atomic Miracle devices to change water into a super fuel.

Another hoot is reading thru some of the ads in old Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazines. Aside from all the miracle items you could buy for the car or house, some of the get rich quick schemes would make many of todays look tame.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I'll be 50 next year.
I remember Western Auto but what's a "Hoot"

Posted on: 2014/10/12 10:33
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Stewart wrote:
I'll be 50 next year.
I remember Western Auto but what's a "Hoot"

I'm showing my age again but it was a favorite expression of my grandmothers so maybe used more in her generation or maybe was more regional. Generally meant something or some idea was so outlandish you would hoot and holler from disbelief. That was if you could still catch your breath while you were laughing so hard at whatever was suggested.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
We used to kill time in school by reading the JCW catalogs in the library. My favorite item was the "tire regroover" - no tread left? Just cut some new grooves!

Now that was a hoot!

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:23
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
LOL. A while back I called something "a hoot" in group of friends and was asked the same thing, "What's a hoot"?

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Do you know what a "humdinger" is? I characterized a bachelor party I went to recently as a "humdinger" and my son wanted to know what I was talking about.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved