Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Detailing the V8: My observations
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My V8 is almost ready to drop into the 55 Clipper and for the originality sticklers out there, this might be a good place to document things that they have noticed.
There is no evidence that this engine had been out before but it appears that a new flywheel was swapped in at one point. Also the starter teeth were pretty wiped out :(
Engines are normally hosed once they have been assembled and this was obvious due to the lack of paint behind the vibration dampener & and water pump manifold.
The bottom of the intake had little paint as did the road draft tube. The valley cover paint was spotty.
The engine mounts were assembled to the engine before it was painted.
I can only speculate on the exhaust manifolds.
The Bell housing and 3 speed on this car were also clearly painted after assembly to the engine.
Things not clear to me:
Was the distributor on the engines when painted or did they come from the supplier painted black. Distributor clamp appeared natural.
I also picked up a crank pulley for PS and it appears to have a phosphate coating on it originally.
Now this is a Jr. car with a May cast engine so your results may vary....
So there guys, another thread to chime in on.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 18:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Detailing the V8: My observations
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

I had to go back to the steel intake gaskets, manifold was not fitting right, and I even enlarged the holes..

I had a used set ..

Posted on: 2014/11/9 19:47
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: Detailing the V8: My observations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'd assume that the accessories like the distributor came from vendors already assembled and painted. But I like your observations a out the quality (?) of the engine paint job, they were just kicking them out the door and not putting the loving attention to details on them like most of us do. But I don't pay myself by the hour and I'm not expecting to make a profit on my work here either!

Posted on: 2014/11/9 20:26
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved