Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fabricating an engine stand
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Hi All,

I'm looking for any dimensional/structural information to fabricate an engine stand for the 327. It appears the engine is attached on the side and never the trans/bellhousing mount... too weak to support the load over length, and finding a correct KR Wilson engine stand is akin to pulling hen's teeth. I can fine plenty of photos online over athttp://krwilsontools.com/pages/catalogs.html, but have no information needed to make a structurally sound engine stand to rebuild these heavy engines. Any and all help will be of great benefit, and once I've created a CAD model, I'll be more than happy to upload it for to others to fabricate their own.

Thanks much for your time and help!

Posted on: 2014/11/29 10:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Fabricating an engine stand
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did you so a search of this forum on that topic? I seem to recall that someone (perhaps Ross Miller) had a method for supporting those engines by the sides for rebuilding without making an elaborate engine stand.

Ross??

Posted on: 2014/11/29 10:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Hi Owen,

The search I tired was using any combination of "engine", "stand", "rebuild", "support", and "motor". I do recall a post a little while back about someone making an engine support using wood. What I want to make is a rebuild stand that can rotate and similar to the OTC-1750 used for diesels. I just don't want to spend $3500+ when I can fabricate the same for under $1k.

Many of the older inline engines were supported on the side unlike many of today's lighter alloy engines, so it would get plenty of use. That's why I'm okay with fabricating one. This Packard is our first restoration, and we've already acquired 2 other project cars for restoration.

This engine stand would be used for rebuilding many other engines as well, as the business my brother and I are starting is a automotive restoration business. Even my father has joined us and will be restoring/rebuilding the entire electrical systems starting with the radio.

Warm regards!

Posted on: 2014/11/29 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2014/11/29 13:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved