Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard heater not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I noticed the last time I took my car out for a drive-it was a cold day, and I put on the heater-I could hear the blower working but very little air was coming out the main vent-I think its on the passenger side. Im sure its only a minor problem but where should I look first?

Posted on: 2015/2/14 21:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard heater not working
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is possible the air side cable has become disconnected from either the knob or the flapper valve or has slipped and flapper is out of adjustment so air is not being directed to core. You can see flapper by looking thru the grill on passenger side. When the knob on left side closest to steering column is at the top or OFF the flapper will be at an angle and touching the bottom of tube on the side closest to you. That position blocks all air. When in VENT or AIR position it will be fairly straight letting air pass thru to grill and when in HEAT position, flapper will be at an angle again but with the flapper touching top of tube close to you and directing air up and to the heater core. Here is a rough sketch as if you were looking from the side.

If that is OK and air is getting to and thru the core then the right side DEFROST/ HEAT knob controls another flapper in a box like chamber in the bottom right corner of the long plastic or cardboartd box above the hump. That flapper controls whether the hot air is going to defroster or to the floor side slot. You won't be able to see the flapper but should be able to see the cable move the flapper control arm by looking up and under the dash. Slightly behind and to passenger side of glove box. If it is disconnected or out of adjustment possibly most of the hot air is going to windshield.

It has been a long time since I had one apart but if memory serves, the photo is showing the control arm top more to passenger side which I believe puts flapper in the defrost position because it is blocking the heat opening on the side of the chamber. When the knob is moved to HEAT position the cable pulls the top of the arm toward drivers side. When pulled, the flapper moves approx 90 degrees to block off an opening in the top of the chamber going into the top half of the plenum for defrost outlets. In that position it lets air pass thru the opening on the side and exit the floor slot.

I believe that flapper is a strip of cardboard or rubber like material attached to the arm. If the arm is moving but you cannot detect any change in air direction to the floor it is possible that the flapper has come loose from the arm and has dropped down blocking the heat exit.

If both of the flappers are working then the only other thing I can think of that would prevent or restrict air flow would be if a screen is missing and something like leaves or other foreign matter has managed to reach the core and clogged it.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.75 KB)
209_54e00d847cde3.jpg 967X1170 px

jpg  (45.26 KB)
209_54e010bc2f711.jpg 605X315 px

Posted on: 2015/2/14 22:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard heater not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hey thanks for the info-ill check it out tommorrow.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 0:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved