Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn wire Douglas Connector???
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wolfstalker
See User information
Last thing not working - except clock and radio - is the horn. I pulled the hub and fished out the wire that runs from the hub contact down the steering shaft - it was loose and looked fried at the bottom end. The wiring diagram says it goes to a Douglas Connector down at the bottom - which I assume is something I will have to locate from beneath the car when it's on a lift, but I don't know what a "Douglas Connector" is. Please advise and where one can get such and anumal. Thank you.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.07 KB)
95636_55a93a219a26f.jpg 944X708 px

Posted on: 2015/7/17 12:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Horn wire Douglas Connector???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the loom portion going to the generator and the oil sender should be another short length of wire -- about 6 or 8" long by itself and heading toward the steering box. It should have a plastic connector on the end. You can probably see if from the top but reaching is easier from the bottom. That wire joins to the wire you pulled out and completes the circuit to the S terminal of the horn relay. Horns connect to H terminal and battery voltage to the B terminal of the relay. (The relay could also be the reason for no horns.) As to the connector, some of the cars used the Douglas connectors which are round and come in various diameters. Other models used Wade connectors which are a small squarish brass tab with a small hole in the middle. Both type connectors are black and look something like this photo from RI wirings site. Most Wade connectors still available are for approx 5/16 wide tabs and ones in that smaller size -- approx 3/16 wide -- may not be available any longer

If you need to replace the black round connector, they are available from Rhode Island wiringhttp://www.riwire.com (listed under supplies, then terminals) and other places but you may not be able to get the exact size you need anymore. If that turns out to be the case you may be able to accomplish the same by using a modern male and female bullet connector from the parts store. Packard typically used around the .156 modern size but the downside to that is depending on what you need you may have to replace both sides. If you go that route, a covering of black heat shrink will disguise it sufficiently.

One other thing since you pulled the wire out. It can be extremely difficult to get it back in place from the top. It has to thread thru a narrow tube at the bottom which is suspended in the middle of the steering shaft. Unless everything lines up perfectly it will catch and progress stops. I suggest using a length of stiff wire and feed that thru the tube exit at the bottom center of steering box. Push the wire all the way up to the top where you can attach the horn wire. The attachment has to be extremely smooth and narrow -- no bulky bumps -- so it can be pulled thru the small tube with the stiff wire.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.66 KB)
209_55a94e99df56d.jpg 462X164 px

Posted on: 2015/7/17 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved