Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

wjames, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Clutch Noise When Just Releasing/Engaging
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi,

I got the engine running now I have clutch noises.

When the clutch is engaged (pedal out) the clutch is quiet. When I push the clutch pedal in it is quiet right up until the pressure plate begins to release the clutch and then it make a buzzing noise and sounds like something is flying around inside the pressure plate. At first I thought I might have dropped one of the 3/8 inch nuts inside the mechanism however I know I was VERY careful to make sure all three were removed as we installed the clutch. Additionally, the centrifugal force inside the mechanism would sling any loose parts to the outside of the pressure plate.

The clutch and pressure plate are about 3000 miles old and I am reinstalling the same parts and they did not make noise earlier.

I made a video with audio I can email to anyone who is willing to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/8/14 17:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch Noise When Just Releasing/Engaging
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Does a Super Eight with electromatic clutch use a clutch return spring?

I do not think that this is the issue I am currently having however my car does not have the clutch spring as shown in the picture.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 82.29 KB; Hits: 47

Posted on: 2015/8/14 18:13
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears all the Electromatic clutch cars used both springs. Different part # than the non EC cars.

Not thinking that is the problem though because pushing the pedal causes the fork to be under pressure from both ends -- the pedal linkage on the outside pushing to the rear and the pressure plate springs on the inside end. The 3.115 return spring is to help return the fork so throwout bearing is retracted and kept away from the pressure plate when the pedal is relaxed. When the pedal is moving the fork the spring really doesn't have much to do until the pedal is released.

I'd be interested in hearing the noise. You can click on my posting name to bring up my profile. The email address is listed there.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.63 KB)
209_55ce7d7659c35.jpg 521X767 px

Posted on: 2015/8/14 18:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I was able to upload a video with audio to YouTube at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLtyk0OrlmU&feature=youtu.be

The engine is spinning at about 2000 RPM as I was still in the process of a high speed idle to keep the oil pressure up to wear in the cam shaft.

A slight error in the terms I used during the video...I say the words "as the pressure plate stops" and/or "as the pressure plate begins to move" however I meant to day "driven plate".

The noise begins as the driven plate (spinning clutch material) just starts to move and/or when the clutch material just begins to stop moving.

Can you all PLEASE watch the video and PLEASE help me fix this????

THANKS

Posted on: 2015/8/14 21:42
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The video is marked private so unable to play.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Sorry Howard...first YouTube post.

Can you PLEASE try it again?

Posted on: 2015/8/14 22:08
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The noise is a different problem I am sure...

Regarding the clutch springs, I have the spring 3.115 however I do not have the spring 3.101 nor the other parts 3.1013 and 3.102.

Interestingly...there was a spring that was installed between the clutch lever end and the other linkage. I included a picture in PDF format.

Someone must have lost the OEM spring and installed this one. This spring made the clutch pedal too stiff for my dad. I removed it and the clutch pedal returns to the full up position using the pressure from spring 3.115.

Reading the manual it looks like the design and location of the spring 3.101 would do two different operations. First it will return the clutch pedal to the full up position and secondly due to leverage it looks like it will also help the driver push down on the pedal when the pedal is past the half way point because the top of the fulcrum will be over center and therefore allowing the spring to help push the pedal.

Gerry, do yo have this spring 3.101 and the parts 3.1013 and 3.102?

Attach file:

pdf Size: 97.51 KB; Hits: 30

Posted on: 2015/8/14 22:22
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The noise sounds like the throwout bearing to me but I'm not an expert so I'll be interested in hearing what others think too. Did the small coil spring get reattached between the bearing carrier and the bellhousing? Any chance one of the fingers on the pressure plate was bent or damaged during installation? Not sure if it is possible to install the clutch plate backward but I remember one side of the plate has springs that protrude a bit. If the plate could be installed so the springs were rubbing when the plate slowed down it might make the noise.

I believe your description of the assist spring operation is correct. It is supposed to help make the pedal pressure less and should be on all cars.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 23:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS Howard for your comments...good and smart thinking on each.

>The noise sounds like the throwout bearing to me but I'm not an expert so I'll be interested in hearing what others think too.

The throwout bearing was new 3000 miles ago. It did not look to have had any issues and it did not make noise before. I do not think I damaged it during the R&R.

>Did the small coil spring get reattached between the bearing carrier and the bellhousing?

Yes.

>Any chance one of the fingers on the pressure plate was bent or damaged during installation?

Hmmm...it was a pain to reinstall the clutch mechanism. I do not recall having any issues with them. I placed a dab of grease on each finger prior to install and they looked fine to me. The fingers have to be pressed in when installing the pressure plate because the gap that the clutch/pressure plate system would be too thick to slide in between the fork pivot and the flywheel. You have to use three 3/8 inch nuts and press down on each finger one at a time and position the nut between the finger and the pressure plate case. Then when the pressure plate has been torqued down you have to remove the nuts without pinching your finger in the spring loaded pressure plate fingers nor do you want to drop the nut inside the pressure plate.

>Not sure if it is possible to install the clutch plate backward but I remember one side of the plate has springs that protrude a bit. If the plate could be installed so the springs were rubbing when the plate slowed down it might make the noise.

It seems that the clutch plate can only be installed one way because when you place the clutch against the flywheel the springs will hit the center bore of the flywheel.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 23:12
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Watch the video a couple of times, and I would guess it is something loose on the clutch plate, maybe one of the springs that take up the shock when the clutch in engaged, or maybe a pad or rivet? But I'm only guessing.
The only throwout bearing that I ever replaced was squealing when operating the clutch, where this sounds like a scrapping noise to me.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (113.83 KB)
1003_55cee7c195186.jpg 886X840 px

Posted on: 2015/8/15 1:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved