Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 clipper steering wheel
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Hello i have recently taken the steering wheel off to clean turn signal switch and can't get steering wheel to pull back down so metal studs on steering wheel will self cancel the turn signal.any tricks to this? I can't seem to find any information on here about steering column or pictures any help will be appreciated

Posted on: 2015/8/16 21:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 clipper steering wheel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I have the same problem, glad you asked. Did you have your column removed by some chance too? I was thinking that is my problem, maybe I didn't get the thing reassembled correctly? I wonder if I need to space it up a bit from the steering gearbox? That would bring the wholle assembly (turn signal switch included) up closer to the steering wheel and then the pins should engage?

Posted on: 2015/8/16 23:13
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the wheel is seated nicely on its splines and the gap is too big, then the column has slid down. Loosen the two bolts that hold the column to the dash and the clamp bolt at the steering gear. At the gear, it is pretty easy to pry the column slowly upwards to get a nice (about 1/16") gap. Tighten the three bolts.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 4:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Ha52 yes i had my column removed from car as well doing a restore on it but also had column apart to clean everything in it. And Ross thanks for the input i will try that later today and see if that works

Posted on: 2015/8/17 6:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved