Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stone shield liner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the front and rear sheet metal stone shields which covers the area between body and inside of bumper there is a liner between the body and sheet metal which appears it might be some sort of thin rubber material. On the edge of the shield extending slightly into the bumper is a much thicker material which because of some white flecks appears it might be a reinforced rubber.

I don't remember what I used or where it was obtained or even if it was narrow strips or cut from a larger sheet on the cars I did so many years ago but was wondering what folks are using today.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 18:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: stone shield liner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No takers on the material question?? Didn't really expect one so I'll just order something that is rubber. Am even thinking of narrow welting for the body side to kind of give a finished look between the body and shield.

On another subject, I would very much appreciate if someone would please be so kind as to look at their 46-7 and tell me if the the rear stone shield between bumper and body below trunk lid and tail lights is absolutely flat or does it have a slight dip or trough flowing toward the middle. That would put the license lamp body and frame lower than the ends. 48-50 has a different part number for the shield but may have a similar profile.

The shield on this car apparently had a bit of unanticipated body work at some point because it was well scrunched and creased in a couple of spots. I've straightened it somewhat but am stopping because I think I or the accidental body work might have stretched the metal and introduced a dip. Can't really tell because the back portion of the shield still looks to have a nice gentle factory curve up to the mounting screws and the ends seem to be consistent.

I'm definitely not a good enough body beater to think if I did create the dip it would have been such a symmetrical dip but then why would Packard have directed water toward the lamp. Hence the question before trying to take the dip out.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
There is a definite dip in the center of my shield. The gap in between top of bumper and shield at the ends is about 3/4" and about
1 5/8 in the middle.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Mark. Good thing I asked. Maybe I straightened too much already because my dip is now only about 1/2 inch. At least it is easier putting a dip in rather than taking it out.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 16:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved