Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

BORG WARNER OVERDRIVE PARTS SOURCE
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Check out the"Fifth Avenue Internet Garage" for overdrive parts.Also 6 volt alternators. He also provides lots of information for antique cars. I have not seen this source referenced before.

Posted on: 2017/1/9 22:28
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Re: BORG WARNER OVERDRIVE PARTS SOURCE
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fifth Avenue has been around awhile and been mentioned on the forum a couple of times. They have an assortment of electrical items and some good info on 6 to 12v conversions. Nice repro electrical items for the R11 but nothing for the R9. Those R9 parts are starting to get in short supply and expensive. IIRC, there were two or three R9 planetary and overrunning clutch failures last year and almost no one had anything to offer. Even Herm the OD guy could not supply mechanical parts. Moral to the story is make sure your R9 has lube and take care of a working one.

Posted on: 2017/1/9 23:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I have the R9 overdrive. What caused those failures? What can I do to prolong life of mine. Car was serviced with all fluids changed when I purchased it in April. thanks Howard fro your reply.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 10:22
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, one R9 failure was the smaller R9 pinion planetary and over running clutch was found to have been installed inside the OD of a car with a large engine. That unit should have had the 4 pinion heavy duty R9-A1 setup but the smaller 3 pinion unit will fit inside the larger case. Not knowing better, I was guilty of doing one of those misguided repairs myself. From the color of the OD unit that was evident in the photo that was posted it may even have been the one I did some 35 years ago. IIRC the failure was due to a lot of wear on the overrunning clutch ramp and roller surface of the smaller unit and it would no longer lock so no forward motion.

Another units failure reason was not proven conclusively but surmised that the lube had not been changed in a considerable time. Lube was found to be thick and congealed -- possibly even low. Kirtie did a very nice writeup with photos of that rebuild over at the PAC project forum.

The other unit I don't recall if it was mentioned whether there had been an actual driving failure. It may have been a routine inspection during an engine and trans overhaul but OD was found to have excessive wear in the pinion shafts resulting in loose pinions and for sure an eventual failure.

At least you know your lube has been changed. Checking and keeping it at the proper level should go a long way toward prolonging the life of the OD.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved