Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

Don B, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel filler door spring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
does anyone have a trick for adjusting the fuel filler door.I see a lot of them which appear to be sprung and have one that is not fully closing. thank you

Posted on: 2017/2/20 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel filler door spring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there is any kind of adjustment. It is just an overcenter flat spring arrangement solidly fixed at each end so if the door isn't closing all the way I suspect the hinge has either gotten bent from the door being opened too far or else the spring has lost tension.

You might be able to remove the door and if the hinge is bent, straighten it but I doubt you would be able to increase tension on the spring. It is a flat piece of hardened spring steel and most likely brittle. Trying to bend it could cause it to break. Max has new ones if it comes to that. Kanter probably has them too.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 18:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
yes i changed the spring and it made no difference. both of my clippers have the same condition

Posted on: 2017/2/20 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With new springs about the only thing left is the hinge. It is possible there is a bend or bind that is stopping the lid from full closure. I don't see any kind of adjustment and there is no body metal on the hinge side that would block the door unless it is so close to the body that the front edge of the door is rubbing the body. Are the rubber cushions the proper size. If those are too thick it could keep it from closing.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 19:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
no the door is about 1/4 inch from bumpers touching at rear of door i will take it apart and look for bends

Posted on: 2017/2/20 19:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved