Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is the oldest Packard that still exists?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I know the forum dates are from 1899-1942, but none of the 1899 Packards still exist, do they?

And if not, what IS the oldest Packard out there?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 11:25
 Top  Print   

Re: What is the oldest Packard that still exists?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
1899-the first Packard.It can still be seen at Leigh University in Packard Hall.I had the pleasure of seeing it run at a Concourse they held there in 1999.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Are there any pics of it that someone can post?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Click on Packard Pictures and then 1899.You can see a Picture of it being driven at Leigh posted by Owen Dyneto.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the 1899 was also at the Centennial meet in 1999 at Warren OH and was driven around the field a bit. Also according to Terry Martin's Packard - The Warren Years there are about 19 Packards 1903 or older, quite a few of which are restored and running. I believe that Howard Schaevitz's 1902 Model F was on the field at Warren, perhaps also John Hovey's 1901 Model C. Also the 1903 "Old Pacific" was on the field, loaned for the occasion by the Ford Museum. If you look under the Packard pictures for 1901 you'll find pictures of the Hovey car; it was also a cover car on AACA's Antique Automobile a while back, and I have other pictures of it as well if you're interested.

The 1899 Packard was kept around the Packard factory for many years, often given rather lousy respect and protection from the elements, but finally, perhaps in the mid-30s, Packard did a rudimentary restoration and donated it to Lehigh University where it remains. One or both of the Packard brothers were Lehigh alumni, you can get the details in the Kimes book if you're interested.

Given your interest in the early Packard iron, here's a few shots from the Warren Centennial (photos by the writer). The 1899 Model A, Schaevitz's 1902 Model F, Hovey's 1901 Model C, Old Pacific, and a couple of general views of what was no doubt the largest assortment of Packards ever in one place, and a one-time great gathering of the earliest and least-seen cars. hope you enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.88 KB)
177_4947f54ebf324.jpg 658X1280 px

jpg  (124.13 KB)
177_4947f55fe3fde.jpg 658X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/12/16 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Thanks for posting the wonderful pictures!

I admit I'm a fan of the early iron, especially so-called 'brass era' cars.

I like the no-holds-barred approach some of the engineers/designers of the day had, where they were willing to try anything because no one was quite sure what worked and what didn't!

Posted on: 2008/12/16 22:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved