Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Touch up paint
Just popping in
Just popping in

Keywestpackard
See User information
I have a 1951 patrician 400 tourquse blue. Anyone knoq where to buy touch up paint? I will take care of some rust spots and repaint i hope in the next year. Until then some small touch ups.

Attach file:

jpg  (240.20 KB)
160496_594eb49b84408.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/6/24 13:51
Paul Menta
Key West First Legal Rum Distillery
 Top  Print   

Re: Touch up paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe anyone makes Packard touch up paint. There is not near the demand as there would be for a Ford or Chevy.

TCP Global and others will make custom paint out of modern compounds using original color code information but they sell quarts or gallons which would need to be put into a spray can.

Frankly, I don't think you would be happy with the results using an original formula touch up paint in a small area. The reason being the car is 65 years old and has undoubtedly faded or possibly even had a color shift if any of the original compounds in the paint didn't age well. Some pigments are unstable over the years. The car could have even been repainted at some point and the original color code may no longer be applicable. Turquoise is one of the colors Packard had several shade variations on too.

I think you would be better served to take a small easily removed item into a local automotive paint supply store and have your paint custom matched to the item as the color is now. They can also put it in spray cans. Gas filler doors are frequently used as are other small removable items depending on the car. The modern computer matching or even a person with a good eye for color can then make a color with a much better chance of blending in with any fading or color shift.

One other thing is I believe Packard still used Nitrocellulose lacquer in 51 so be sure what ever you are going to use is compatible. Acrylic or regular enamel should go over lacquer OK but I would be careful of anything that would require use of a lacquer thinner as it might lift the original paint.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 14:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Touch up paint
Just popping in
Just popping in

Keywestpackard
See User information
Great info, thank you very much

Posted on: 2017/6/24 16:54
Paul Menta
Key West First Legal Rum Distillery
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved