Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 248

Phat Jonny, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

4 Barrel Choke Heat Tube
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
Need a little help from the other men who own one. Lol. My car has a 4 barrel Carter carb and is missing the heat tube that goes from the automatic choke to the manifold. I have no idea how it is supposed to be routed and I can't figure out where it connects to the manifold. Can someone please post pictures showing this as the service manual doesn't seem to mention this at all.

Posted on: 2017/8/27 22:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 4 Barrel Choke Heat Tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What year or what model or engine? 4 barrel Carters were used from 53-56 and routing depends on the engine.

Posted on: 2017/8/27 22:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
Engine is a 1952 327 straight eight but has a 4 barrel carb and 4 barrel intake from a 53 or 54. The intake has a small box near the firewall with a cover. I believe the tube may go there but not entirely sure.

Posted on: 2017/8/28 8:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts says the 53-4 four barrel manifolds are the same so if yours has the box this illustration from the 54 fact book should be the routing.

I believe the box is just a semi closed air chamber. There should be a small opening or orifice where an amount of air is allowed to enter the chamber. That air is never directly mixed with exhaust but is heated by the hot exhaust heating the rear and sides of the chamber. Via a short length of steel or copper tubing vacuum pulls the heated air up into the choke mechanism where it flow around a thermostatic spring.

I believe the tubing at the manifold end is unfinished and connection is nothing more than a push in or slide fit into the chamber outlet Not pressed but snug enough there is no appreciable leakage around the tubing where it enters the box.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.82 KB)
209_59a42e24c75ab.jpg 902X578 px

Posted on: 2017/8/28 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
This is exactly what I needed to see. Many thanks friend.

Posted on: 2017/8/28 11:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved