Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hauling or not hauling?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
I have two problems with my '56 Executive Hardtop (or better: with myself) that probably didn't occur here before:

At first, I have to find a safe way to enter my car (on passenger's side only) as I have a body handicap since birth and use a wheel chair. Earlier, I made the transfer by standing up from the wheel chair, turning then backward to the car's bench, and vice verso. Getting out was easier, as I used driver's side and held my by the bench seat back and the steering wheel.

After an accident at home that doesn't work anymore as I am unable now to stand on my feet...

Second problem is the wheel chair. I have to take it with me as I am too heavy for a light manual chair that just could be thrown in the trunk.

It is an Invacare Storm3 that is close to this new model 3G Arrow:

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=3GAR-CG&catOID=-536887472

With all those electric motors, it weights about 300 lbs. There is no disassembling beside of a removable seat back. Even then, it is too high for the trunk of the car (and too heavy to get it in without a crane).

We will try to solve the first problem with a lifter. For the second, we have not yet an idea other than:

-taking the chair within our daily driver, a (European) Ford Transit Van with a hydraulic ramp.

-hauling the wheel chair within a carrier.

In case of the ladder: Is it wise to retro-fit the car with a hauling device? Did Packard mention that in their information material and if so, are there data about maximum hauling weight?

As I am a newbee in hauling matters, your advice is much appreciated - and, no, selling the Packard is not an acceptable solution...

Posted on: 2009/9/25 16:11
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Hauling or not hauling?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
what about something like this, i know it would have to be taller of without a top on it but you could mount the lift in it instead of the car and put your chair in this thing -- and they are aluminum with a weight of less that 400 pounds so with your chair it wouldn't be to heavy for the car to tow i don't think -- but as always recomended on here you should have a cooler put on your transmission out in front of the radiator --- i have no idea if that would work but theres some ideas anyway -- good luck and let us know what you come up with -- plenty of people could probably benefit from your lead

Attach file:

jpg  (20.26 KB)
1757_4abd3d57177bc.jpg 700X525 px

Posted on: 2009/9/25 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a few sites with an assortment of carriers that I see frequently used locally. Mounting some type of support shouldn't be too big of issue. There is 55T-27 tech bulletin on suggestions for mounting a trailer hitch which I would think require lots more strength than these.

http://www.easymobilityco.com/harmar_mobility_scooter_lifts.htm

http://www.spinlife.com/Tilt-A-Rack-Mobility-350ARV-Mini-Manual-Wheelchair-and-Travel-Scooter-Outside-Manual-Scooter-Lift/spec.cfm?productID=76891

http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductCategory=11

Don't know if European regulations permit these however.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For easy entry and exit of the car u might want to consider disconnecting the door check straps. This will allow the door to open very widely. Use a smooth board to bridge from the wheelchair seat and across to the car seat. Then slide yourself along the board to the car seat.

Also, when entering or exiting the car be sure to always put the door window DOWN and open vent window. If something should happen that u begin to fall then u can grab at the door to ease or stop the fall.

For hauling the motorized wheel chair try something as pictured below. NOTE that it swings out and away from the trunk or tailgate to allow access to trunk.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.53 KB)
35_4abd8e6123a96.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/25 22:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Finally I got the time to go over your valuable information...

If I understand correctly, the Packard Service Bulletin (55T-27) advices reinforcements to the frame and Torsion Level device when towing more than 500 lbs. So, a solution with a trailer would be difficult as the trailer quite surely would become heavier than this. I'm also hesitating to alter the car irreversibly...

I have seen hitch racks for wheel chairs earlier, but only on www. Of cause, a lot of bike racks that work similarly are sold here but it seems that nobody here wants a wheel chair carrier on the hitch. I still have to find out if they would be street legal in Switzerland.

Aesthetically, this may be not the most desirable solution, (but wheel chairs aren't, neither...). I will contact them. Wonder where the difference lies at prices between 200 and 700 $...

PackardV8: Sorry, your link doesn't work on my PC. Your advice to look for a swing-away solution is very helpfull, nevertheless.

I have checked all the links (Guscha: Your link leads me to the HP but I can't open the pages).

Seems that I could not keep my Executive no longer in our apartment's parking facility (is that the correct word?) as it is already too long for a usual Swiss parking lot...

Posted on: 2009/9/30 14:36
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:
If I understand correctly, the Packard Service Bulletin (55T-27) advices reinforcements to the frame and Torsion Level device when towing more than 500 lbs. So, a solution with a trailer would be difficult as the trailer quite surely would become heavier than this

I read the TSB and what it refers to is the tongue weight or the "draw bar vertical load" as it is in the TSB -- the entire weight of the trailer would be less than 453Kg or 1000 pounds (including your chair) and your tongue weight would usually be 10% to 15% of total weight so your actual vertical load would be 45-68Kg or 100-150 pounds --- the Packard is fine carrying 181Kg or 400 pounds in the trunk so i really think you would be fine there --- now about the parking spot, i hope you can find a place to keep your Packard and also if you do indeed go with a trailer remember that you will have to store this somewhere as well, in an apartment thats always an issue --- good luck with everything my friend!!

Posted on: 2009/9/30 17:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved