Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Response from vendors
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I wonder how these vendors stay in business. I called 5 vendors for parts I'm looking for. Max Merritt and Herry Yeska answered and then Max called me back with answer. Waiting a call back from Henry.

3 of the vendors calls went to VM and none returned by calls. Everybody took off Friday? If you out for the day, that message should be on your VM.

A week ago a got on the website that advertizes glass for old cars. Sent them a quote request, and no response yet.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 21:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Response from vendors
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I live about 4 hrs from Kanters, and it took them 4 weeks to get me an in stock oil pan gasket. I coulde ridden a bicycle there faster.

This hobby has enough challenges withhout having to deal with vendos who cant return calls or any other basic business functions.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 21:47
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Get used to it. Altho the Packard world seems to be the most guilty of the kind of treatment u guy's have experienced it seems to span other badges too.

The problem is that if u're not a high volumn customer then u're at the bottom of the list. Over the years i've seen a few dealers of other badges that were superb to deal with tho but only a few.

I think one of the problems is that these cars tend to change hands every 2 or 3 years or so and never actualy run. So the vendors don't have to get too serious about anything.

My recommendation is to try Joel first. He is Packards1@aol.com or Al Lordladymopak@webtv.net. I've dealt with both and they are excellent to buy parts from.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ANother problem is with service providers. Again, many such vintage service providers know that what ever component they repair/rebuild will not likely be put into actual service for many months or even years because the rest of the car is awaiting restoration.

I've ran into this problem on numerous occasions over the last 35 - 40 years with Indian, HD, Cushman, Jeep just to name a few. And had to streighten out some real high dollar abortions, parts that didn't fit, broke or wear out in short order or simply were not fit correctly. AND IT WAS WORK DONE BY THE QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS!

Upon a phone call to anyone to buy parts or service should u get the impression that they would like to say to u "do u want to buy some parts" and don't really want to talk to u otherwise then u probably need to do otherwise.

ABOVE ALL: be sure to give vendors and service providers of vintage tin the impression that u are WAITING TO DRIVE THE CAR but don't rush their process. If they think the car is many months or even years from driveability status then they won't take u serious. The best kept secret of the classic's.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Alot of vendors have more than 1 customer, so they often spread themselves thin helping everyone out.

Antique automotive cars are a Hobby. If these cars were everyday drivers, than yes the parts departments would be as busy as a GM or Ford parts counter. Their parts shelves would be deep and plentiful. However, sometimes it takes time for vendors to get parts quickly because they only stock some items seasonally, or in quantities of 5 because that literally is a 3 year supply!

Returning calls should be done. I can't really justify ignoring people. I must say that afew of my calls fall through the cracks just due to being lost in the shuffle. I don't value a customer on how much they spend, but how easy they are to satisfy.

Being in a company that sells classic car parts globally, I sometimes notice that expectations differ on geographic lines. Most of my East coast customers want their parts the day before they ordered them. They are always in a hurry. Australian customers always expect their orders to arrive in 4 weeks, so when you deliver it to them in 1-2 weeks you are seen as a miracle worker, and have made a friend for life.

Most parts businesses are eager to please, because word of mouth & the internet can really destroy a business. For The Antique car business (especially marque exclusive vendors) it really is a small world. You may think vendors all know eachother, and you are absolutely correct in thinking so. Most vendors try to outdo eachother, so don't be afraid to mention another vendor by name just to let them know they aren't the only show in town. If there is one thing that can humble a vendor, its letting them know that your business can go elsewhere.

So give that other vendor another call, they might just be unloading a truck, or rebuilding a part they can't put down, or maybe they just need a bee put in their bonnet to get them off their ass and get back to work.

Or they could be looking for the part you asked for in your message in this mess:

Attach file:

jpg  (27.59 KB)
633_4b19fb1ca836e.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2009/12/5 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Portlandon: You guys were always terrible to deal with. I always had to go to your place in person. Only kidding as I highly recommend your company.

Packv8: I never heard of these two guys. Do the sell early 30s Packard parts?

There's one packard vendor who never answers the phone and I'm lucky to get a call back from him. I never had that issue with Portlandon's company. Also Max Merritt always answers the phone.

But what about the glass company. It's been a week.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 1:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved