Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 7
Guests: 159

Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, DavidM, packardbill, DM37, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

lowering rear tl system
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Anybody off the top of their head have a reasonable idea on how to lower the rear of a 55 with TL? Fabricated load pins for the front.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 20:49
 Top  Print   

Re: lowering rear tl system
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I'm thinking of loosening the U bolts and fabricating longer ones and just inserting 2" blocks that have a circular groove to conform to the axle tube.... Any objections besides the usual...Why?

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not sure what u are trying to accomplish. Do u only want to lower the rear of the car or lower the entire car from front to rear keeping the car level????

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I am lowering the overall height of the car, A flick of the TL switch will level it, or drag the tail or rake it towards the front, i have fabricated adjustable pins for the height on the front. I am just trying to decide the safest way to lower the rear about 2 inches. Inexpensively.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Why not just adjust the turnbuckle??

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Can you elaborate on adjusting the turnbuckle please?

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you just want to change the rear, then adjusting the turnbuckle will do it but if you want to lower the entire car equally keeping it level, then I believe the proper way is to reduce the amount of twist on the long bars allowing the vehicle weight to lower it.

This is usually done by the different links in front. A shorter link equals less twist so overall, the car will lower. Whether you can get the two inches you are looking for is not known--each notch on stock lengths was said to change height 3/8" on new bars. Not sure if the spacers you are thinking about would do that since the tension on bars would be the same--although raising the axle would lower the rear, am thinking the front might be high.

After the new height and neutral point is established, the compensator position for short bars would have to be determined for neutral. The turnbuckle attachment to the long bar would then be clamped to the new location.

EDIT: Under car at approx front drivers seat location is a short rod connecting the level switch to the long bar. In the middle of the rod is an adjustment turnbuckle. Lengthening or shortening the rod changes the point the switch activates the compensator.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.13 KB)
209_4b7a12893d251.jpg 239X191 px

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As HH56 indicates above i would start by using SHORTER front load links.

ok. it's a 55. 55 used differnt front load link pins from 56. Count the grooved rings on the load link pins and report back.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Guys....my load pins in the front are fully adjustable.(see pic) I am just wondering about the rear. Also my TL system has no compensator, it is on a two way momentary switch and you kind of use your ear to know where to stop it one way or the other.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.71 KB)
1551_4b7a21b4e7685.jpg 429X298 px

Posted on: 2010/2/15 23:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is a little misleading saying you don't have a compensator. I think you mean to say you do not have the control box wired in but just ground one solenoid or the other to engage the compensator to change the stance of the car. Perhaps you could mount a small level so that you could see where the car was regarding attitude. If you don't have the control box wired in, then the turnbuckle has no effect. I hope you haven't bypassed the limit switch as that can have a disastrous result.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 23:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved