Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

kevinpackard, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil filters and engine oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hello.

As a greenhorn Packard owner (just having bought a Clipper DeLuxe 1956), I need some advise concerning type of engine oil- and filters, i.e should it be a full flow or a by pass?
The different manufacturers state that you can use both types.

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/16 5:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil filters and engine oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
All 1955-56 Packard V-8s have a bypass type oil filter. It takes the same filter as 1955 Chebbie. I use NAPA Gold #1006. Some other brand filters have the wrong O-ring, so beware of that. BTW, the NAPA #1006 has both size O-rings.

As for oil, in my experience, pretty much any premium grade regular (not synthetic) oil will do fine. I use Castrol GTX brand usually. I also use 10-30W in the winter (low 20F) and 20-50W (high 110F) in the summer.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/16 5:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thank you for the info.

Alas as I live in Norway it is more or less impossible for me to obtain your suggested brand of oil filters.

I wonder if anybody use filters from FRAM or MANN?

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/17 2:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Rocky,
There is a company in the U.K. called In line filters and I found on their site an equivalent number to suit the Fram filter that I have in my Packard. Their contact E-mail address is sales@inlinefilters.co.uk. There might be a similar Company that you could contact in Norway.
If you want anymore info please don't hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/8/17 3:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hello Terry,

Could you please state the exact type of FRAM filter that you are using, as the filter manufacturers` cross references are seemingly unreliable.

Thanks in advance,

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/17 4:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the OEM filter housing:

Fram C4P
Purolator L30034
Wix 51006

PS - note there are 2 different caps or lids for those filters, the more common and rather conical stamped steel one (also known as the "oh s..., it's leaking again" and a cast steel one with more of a shallow dome shape. As I recall each takes a different sized gasket. Wix and NAPA filters usually use the same part #, though NAPA omits the first digit.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hello Rocky,
Sorry my filter is different to yours as mine is a 1934 car not a 50s one like yours. Take the info that Owen Dyneto has listed as very reliable. He has been around Packards for some time and I have never known him to be wrong yet.
Terry

PS, I just checked the company that I wrote to you about and they do have an equivalant by pass filter reference No FFR-C4DB in stock listed at ?7.79

Posted on: 2010/8/17 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the nice words, Terry. But I certainly have been wrong more times than I'd care to count. Your own filter as you no doubt know should be a Purolater L-6. Packard went to full-flow filters on the senior Eights in 1934 along with the introduction of the oil heat exchanger, finned rod bearing caps, and other changes to the oiling system. The L-6 was used only for 1934, being replaced in 1935 by the L-8 which ws used thru 1939, and on the Twelves as well but not on the junior cars. These are disposable filter canisters though today you can buy kits (or new housings) to take spin-on cartridges. The only differences between the L-6 and L-8 is in the end fittings, and adapters are available to make them interchangeable.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Your welcome Dave,
Yes I have one of the L6 filter units which I bought last year at Hershey from Burr Ripley and a very well made piece of kit it is too. Bye the way coming off Rocky's subject a bit is the big circular unit in the centre of the sump (oilpan)the filter screen unit? I'm due to change the oil soon and thought I might check to see if it wants a clean.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/8/17 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I also have the Burr Ripley L-6 oil filter kit on my 34, have had it for many years and am completely satisfied. The major difference between it and the R&A Engineering version is that Ripley's requires a slight modification to the NAPA filter element, and the R&A uses a NAPA cartridge "as sold". Prior to that I had purchased several repro L-6 units from Hibernia Restorations, that was probably back in the 60s and 70s. They failed miserably, opening on the seams due to the oil pressure (about 60 psi cold) being too much for the design, and emptying the crankcase in just a couple of minutes.

And yes, the small hexagonal access plate on the bottom of your 34 oil pan, held by studs and nuts, is your access to the oil pump suction screen. Highly recommended to remove it every so often when you change oil to inspect and clean if necessary,

Posted on: 2010/8/17 11:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved