Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Side light on a 1956 Packard... turning into Chrysler transmission vibration problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

My 1956 Four Hundred has the white plastic lights that go just aft of the doors. These light up when a door is opened, but in my case, they also light up when the car's lights are turned on. I find it a little annoying to have these lights lighted up at nights. Is this how it is supposed to be or should they open only with the doors to iluminate the floor while getting in or out?

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/24 0:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Side light or courtesy light on a 1956 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That is how they're supposed to be. I thought about putting a green bulb in the passenger's side and a red bulb on the driver's side on my '56 Patrician. I figured that people with a nautical slant would get the joke, lol!

Posted on: 2010/10/24 0:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard actually promoted the running lights as a safety feature in some brochures. Here's one from the folder entitled "A Woman's Place" promoting all the safety and comfort features a woman driver would appreciate. Another folder mentions if you were in the middle of an intersection, your car would be easily seen at night--as if 2 tons of mass with a shiny strip down the middle would be invisible.

If it bothers you, the small running light bulbs can be removed.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.09 KB)
209_4cc4385169e31.jpg 583X213 px

Posted on: 2010/10/24 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks a lot for the information! Now that I know it is supposed to be like that, I will of course leave it as intended. I just think the 3 candle power mentioned in the brochure versus the 15 when opening the door, are not working that way. Perhaps my light bulbs? I guess I will have to look into that.

Thanks again for the help,
victor

Posted on: 2010/10/24 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
They have always struck me as another Packard "first". 20 years later Ford & GM would put simular lights on the "B" and/or "C" panels and call them "Coach Lights". I didn't know they were dual output bulbs.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:10
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
2 separate bulbs. Small running lights in parallel with tail lights and operate same time and large bulb operated by the door switch.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Ah, so that's it. That's better than the dual bulb I was thinking about. I've found with my '75 Lincoln Mark IV that some of the older specialty bulbs (like the cornering light bulbs) are getting hard to find.
Thanks for putting me straight.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:40
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Victor,

Let the annoyance fade and just let it happen by allowing the Packard mystique to overwhelm you! Our 55-56 Packards are some of the most beautiful cars in the world; so let's cherish them and keep them for the generations that follow us.

Attach file:

jpg  (251.23 KB)
20_4cc4a43310657.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/24 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Kevin:

Agreed, they are beautiful cars, and being from another era, they have their own gimmicks and particularities that can make them so attractive in a sense.

I am not really fond of the side light, but of course I will learn to live with it. I have to say I was more concerned with the plastic lense, perhaps burning because of the extended exposure to the light. I will check on the bulbs, perhaps the one that turns on with the lights is larger that it should be. Right now it just seems to bright.

I just partly solved my suspension problems (more on that later on another topic) and I am just starting to use and enjoy the car. I look forward to many years of doing it. But the learning process continues. I will be bothering you guys with a few more questions.

Thanks for all the input,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (70.08 KB)
1141_4cc5005184a42.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (58.38 KB)
1141_4cc50113789b3.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/10/24 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think that '56 Caribbean hood should have been on all the '56 models, not just the Caribbean. They just look so much nicer.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 6:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved