Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 202

64avanti, SteveP516, Bingo, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rewiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Now I found why my battery goes dead on my 1950 Deluxe 8 Series 23 touring sedan. The wiring insulation inside the main dashboard loom is crumbling and this exposes bare wires and makes shorts. Other wires in the car have dry crumbling insulation also. The only decent fix is replacement of the wiring loom entirely, so I ordered one from Rhode Island Wiring.

While I wait for delivery I need to plan the wiring replacement. Does anyone have the experience on the 48-50 Packard? If so please let me know a few tips:

1. How best do I get to the back of the dash?
2. Are there any "tricks" in the replacement process to make the job easier?
3. What are the worst problems?
4. Is there any available literature that I can read?

Any information would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 14:41
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Rewiring
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To do it right, you really need to remove the dash. While it may seam like a pain, it can great simplify the task of routing. Half the battle is removing the old stiff, petrified wiring. The one tip I can give is leave a piece of the original wiring running up the A-pillar. The wiring for the tail lights, trunk light etc all run up the drivers side A-pillar, across the roof and into the trunk. If you simply cut the original wiring at the bottom of the A-pillar and leave at least one wire in place, then you can tape your new wiring to it, and use the old piece of wiring to pull it through. Getting the bundles of wiring up the A-pillar without a pull wire is a nightmare.

Same goes for the ground wire to the doom light switch on the B-pillar. Also a good time to replace the firewall harness grommet.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 15:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved